Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Misty

Default Dogsledding or Glacier Landings?

We're torn between two Skagway excursions and would appreciate thoughts from any who have tried one or both. Our options are:
a) Dog Sledding ($399)
b) Helicopter flightseeing with a couple of glacier landings ($299)

From what we understand about the dog sledding, you basically just travel in a big flat circle around the camp. You don't really see much or experience varying terrain.

Questions:
1) How much flightseeing do you get with the dogsledding? Is is just what you pass along the way to the dogsled camp, or do you also go elsewhere?

2) Is my "flat circle" understanding correct? If so, did you feel this excursion was really worth $400 pp? (We're brand new at this, so our question is sincere, not intended to be at all sarcastic. $400 pp is an awful lot of money for 2 hours, so we're thinking about this very carefully.)

3) For those who may have done both, how did the two excursions compare? Which would you reccommend to Alaska first-timers who can only do one or the other?

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: Dogsledding or Glacier Landings?

$400.00 p/p is a lot. We consider it but that is out of our price range.
There is an alternative for the dog sledding, no helicopter with this one, but worth considering http://www.alaskasleddog.com/ and not quite the total experience but a whole lot cheaper. In summer unless you are on a glacier there won't be much snow. Temesco helicopters direct may save some $$ in Skagway for the heli and dog sledding.

Post Edited (02-26-03 01:48)

Old February 28th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Dogsledding or Glacier Landings?

Where did you hear that the dog sledding only goes around the camp? We are considering doing this and would like to know more about the tour. Was there a website, if so, what is it? I think $400/person is alot for just going around in a big circle.
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Dogsledding or Glacier Landings?

I took this tour 2 years ago and thought it was AWESOME! I've been to Alaska on cruiseships 6 times now and the dogsledding tour was the best tour I've ever taken! You actually travel a couple of miles and we went 7mph. on the back of a sled. Snow was everywhere you looked and it was very quiet (except for the dogs barking!) I loved standing on the back of the runners on the sled. Hold on because those dogs have a lot of power!!!! You will understand what it is like to be a musher out in the wilderness. The price is expensive but, where will you be able to do this? I live in San Diego and can't run dogs on the beach because of over heating! The helicoptor trip upto the glacier was also fun! I was lucky to meet an Iditarod musher named Linwood Fiedler. He's the one who has 100+dogs on the glacier.
All the people who did this tour from the ship were so excited after the tour and couldn't stop talking about their mushing experience.
Take the tour!
Kathy
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:27 PM
Misty

Many thanks to all for helpful comments. We booked the Skagway dogsledding and can't wait!!
Old March 14th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Admiral

A consideration would be to book the dog sledding direct with TEMSCO and save some money, then consider a single glacier helicopter landing out of Juneau for about $180. The sled dog camps are more on snow than ice- so they are different. Also the most canceled of all Alaska excursions. There is an article on Goodwin's glacier sled dog trip in the Alaska magazine. As for the dog sled rides on wheels, Seaveys(Seward) has the edge over the Skagway company, I have done both. Certainally worthwhile though.