Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:02 AM
MLM

Default Need to buy some binoculars-any suggestions?

Surprisingly, I've never owned a pair of binoculars but would like to purchase some for our upcoming cruise. Can anyone make a recommendation as to a good strength and best place to buy them. I see them on ebay and the prices range from a-z...need some guidance please.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Need to buy some binoculars-any suggestions?

MLM....This should tell you all you want to know...
SSaFWs..ED
http://www.binoculars.com
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Be sure to get some light weight ones. We took 2 pair that had good magnification, but by the time I wore them around my neck all day they felt like they weighed a ton. DH won't even consider them if they are under 10 x. The first number refers to the magnification and the second tells how wide the glass is (as in 10 x 30 - the 10 means 10 x magnification and the 30 means 30 cm lenses (I think the unit of measure is cm.)). I'm trying to find something with good magnification in a small, light-weight size, and at a decent price for our next cruise.
Linda
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:34 PM
MLM

Default Re: Re: Need to buy some binoculars-any suggestions?

Thanks so much for the education!! I never realized about these different numbers and exactly what the meant. Yes, I agree with the importance of light weight . I always feel like I'm loaded down like a pack mule as it is!!
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:53 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Need to buy some binoculars-any suggestions?

do a search on this site and cruise critics for previous threads. I know there have been at least four or five going over the last 18 mos. There are so many variables for each type of user to recommend one power or brand or even type. To some, light weight and small size are priority, others price, others want high quality, others want wide angle and waterproof for use around oceans, water and rain. Bright, high quality, 8 or 10 power with some wide angle are all helpfull for wildlife, whale watching. If it is something you will use again in future, spend good money and they will last forever. Now that I think of it, the cheap ones last just as long, only they gather more dust on my top shelf as I keep upgrading a little each time to get better optics and clarity as my eyes get worse!!!
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Andee Bram

For our Alaska trip last year, my husband bought zoom binoculars, which started at 8 power and zoomed to 25. They were the best of both worlds. They cost about $130; the brand is IR Optics.
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Passenger

One thing to think about when choosing the power is how steady your hands are. I find using 10s I have some trouble tracking quickly moving objects.

--Atiya

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Admiral

My recommendation- for any significant wildlife viewing you need wide angle, 10x50's are perfect and my only preference over many years of Alaska sailing. You need a large field of view as the areas are vast.
Old June 11th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Passenger

I went through this dilemma myself, did the research, went shopping, and bought 10X50 Minolta's. I bought 2, one for me and one for my wife. They are a little heavier than the smaller ones, (but not that much), but the side-by-side comparison at the store was the real clincher -- they beat the pants off the Nikon/Olympus/Canon etc. binoculars that were also for sale (at a much higher price, I might add).

I know this reply is to a message that is pretty old, but thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in.

Alaska Novice
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:27 AM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Need to buy some binoculars-any suggestions?

MLM,
As you can see and I stated before, there are lots of opinions out there. I have Nikon 10x50's, Busnell Audobon 8x42s, and Pentax 8x25s I think. They are all better than the old cheap ones I also still have. The Pentax's are small, my wife likes them, but they don't work as well in low light or with eyeglasses on. The Busnells are very clear, fairly light, but I wanted more power for wildlife viewing. The Nikons were still reasonably priced (about $125), very clear, more power, and not that much heavier unless you have them around your neck along with a camera or two for several hours on deck or on a bus. Again, figure out how you will use them this trip and in the future and spend what you can afford to buy after trying them out. Look thru and compare first.