Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:02 PM
Jenifer Schwarz

Default Alaska for Family of Foodies

Hi All,
My family and I are planning on Alaska in July '04. My mother-in-law is both very picky about food and cost conscious. I've cruised Princess before (Mexico, my 5-year-old son still raves about it) and thought it was lovely in all ways except for the food. MIL likes fine dining and gracious, formal service but doesn't want to pay Crystal prices for it. Any ideas? I'm thinking Celebrity but don't know if the food will really be any better than Princess. Thanks in advance. Jenifer
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Alaska for Family of Foodies

Hi Jenifer,
There are some nice Princess ships that do Alaska, but if you want to try something just a tad different, we cruised on Celebrity Infinity last year to Alaska, and they too have great food and service, just a little better than Princess, so check some of their ships and itinaries out too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Food on all the major lines probably won't measure up I afraid. All have dropped in quality due to the low sustained prices. I would assume you should find something to your liking though with all the dining options? Why not strongly consider the "extra charged" dining which is most always a cut above????
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:02 AM
Captain

I think that's a good idea about using the "premium" restaurants on board the ships because the food is better in those restaurants. I realize that the cruise ship food is not 5-star, but it's always difficult for me to understand complaints about the food because, as previously noted, there are so many choices! If you don't like something, you simply get something else. I also think Celebrity food is a bit more upscale and should be more acceptable to picky eaters, and that's a good compromise between the price of a premium line like Crystal and a line that will give you good value like Celebrity. Hope you have a great trip.

Donna