Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Beginner

Default Tracy Arm Fjord - Adventure Bound Tour

Has anyone been on the Adventure Bound tour from Juneau to Tracy Arm Fjord? This is the only tour that goes to Tracy Arm Fjord on Tuesdays this summer (which is the only day our ship is in Juneau). This looks like a great tour but it is scheduled to return only one hour before the end of boarding for the Princess Cruiseship. Since this would be an INDEPENDENT tour; is this cutting it too close?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
vactionhappy

Default Re: Tracy Arm Fjord - Adventure Bound Tour

Tracy Arm is not to be missed - it is spectacular!
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Admiral

If you are a first time visitor, I don't recommend this tour which takes up all your port time. Juneau is too great to miss. I have gone with Auk Nu- a great tour. But you will have to be back on board your cruiseship 1/2 hour before departure. Is this hour including this or do you only have a hour before sailing??? If so- then no you don't have enough time. If you have an hour (and 30 minutes before sailing)- yes you have time to get back on the ship.
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Beginner

The planned time for the return of the tour is 6:00 PM, boarding ends at 7:00 and departure is 7:30 PM. The Auk Nu tour would work perfectly, but they don't operate on Tuesdays which is our only day in port. The tour also leaves only one hour after the cruise ship arrival time. So we only have one hour on either side for things to slide without creating a problem.

Thanks for you input on Juneau (it is our first time), but since we are spending another 8 days in Alaska after the cruise this tour seemed unique and was only available from Juneau.

Thanks.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Touring interior Alaska is not even remotely similar to touring Juneau. Inside ports are vastly different and certainly worthwhile. I would instead highly recommend a Kenai Fjords boat tour of at least 6 hours. Scenery and varied wildlife. Wildlife is less likely in Tracy Arm.
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Thanks for answering. I also think the Kenai Fjords tour is too important to miss, that is why we are doing the 8.5 hr tour. Everything I read about it says it is great for seeing wildlife, on land and sea. During our stay on the Coral Princess and at the 3 B&B's on land, we are going on the following tours: Misty Fjords flight, White Pass Railroad, Haines Valley of Eagles tour, Lions Head - Matanuska river rafting with 2.5 hr glacier hike, Glacier Discovery Alaskan RR tour, Denali Flight with glacier landing, flight from Talkeetna to Denali with all day bus tour and circle flight tour of Denali, the 4 hour Maray jet boat tour from Talkeetna. The Tracy Arm Fjord would allow us to get really up close to the large glacier from the water. But we are still unsure about the close timing. A follow-up e-mail to the tour operator asking about there policies and record should help make our decision.
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Some of these sound like ship tours, or booking agent tours??? My opinion only, there are some better options. You get a very close up viewing of a glacier on the Kenai Fjords boat tours. As for your valley of Eagle tour- what mode of transit? Best is a float trip and definately independently booked with Eco Orca. You have very little opportunity for wildlife viewing from a bus or the jet boats. I would consider just a Matanuska glacier trekk and skip the raft. A lot is viewable from the Glenn Highway driving by and a longer glacier trekk, independent with MICA guides offers much more with the Trekking. About $70+ per person, a supreme bargain in my opinion.
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Captain

We're planning on spending 4 days in Juneau this summer. Since we will have the time is the Adventure Bound tour worth it? How smooth is it, assuming we get decent weather. It's all day and although we don't get seasick on cruise ships...these are of course way smaller.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Yes a very worthwhile tour. I have only gone with Auk Nu. Most of the trip is in the fjords.
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Captain

Thanks for the info.

Is the catamaran from Auk Nu really smooth sailing? I would think that it will be smooth if the weather is good and maybe choppy if bad. Of course I will plan/expect rain up there.