Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
daffomom

Default suggestions needed for some hiking/walking tours

We will be on the Mercury to Alaska, departing May 5, 2004 out of San Francisco. We have been to Alaska before on the NCL Sky in Sept 2001. We would love to do more guided hiking tours/ walking tours...we did the Mt Roberts tram in Juneau that included a guided nature walk....just felt like we were experiencing Alaska out in the elements..

I would love some suggestions on hiking (moderate level)....would love to be able to do a hike on a glacier..is this a possibility?

Will be in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau & Icy Straight Point as well as Victoria & Vancouver.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: suggestions needed for some hiking/walking tours

We are planning to hike the East Loop trail at Mendenhall - from the map it looks like a moderate, 3-hour walk/hike. There are several trails at Mendenhall - look at their web site for the maps and info. We'll be there end of May.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Thoth

I think I will try the "guide's choice" nature hike out of Juneau which is between 4-6 miles and takes about 4 hours. without a doubt, I'll be hoping for good weather!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:59 AM
Admiral

East Loop Glacier trail at Mendenhall is a 3 1/2 mile loop, requires a certain amount of fitness- uphill one way. There is the Dewey Lakes at Skagway- Upper and Lower. Trailhead between 3rd and 4th across the tracks. With a car- Ketchikan offers the great Preserverance trail system along with a loop of Ward Lake.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:00 AM
Admiral

No glacier walking accessability from the inside passage (the West trail at Mendenhall is an all day trek) but a great cheap opportunity with MICA guides about 2 hours north east of Anchorage.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:39 PM
Passenger

How real is the possibiliy of running across bears while hiking some of the mentioned trails? Like the one that goes around Ward Lake.
I would really like to go hiking...but I'm afraid of having a close encounter with a bear. I will be hiking with my DH in mid May.
Thanks
CLWallag
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Have bear bells on. Or carry a can with rocks in it. Talk while you walk. Slim chance of "running" into a bear.