Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:50 PM
First Mate

Default Excursion for Flying Impaired

Hello to all here!!! For a 1st time cruiser this is a wonderfully, informative site!! I've learned alot!

We're 1st time cruisers---4 of us---to Alaska in August aboard Sapphire Princess. 3 of the 4 are already apoplectic about the flight cross-country to get to the ship! They do NOT intend to get on a "float plane" or a helicopter when they get to the cruise. Any ideas for the "air-impaired?"

I've pre-reserved the following:
Ketichikan-Jeep & Canoe Safari with chowder/salmon snack
Juneau-Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip-with Salmon,reindeer saugage & cheese snack )
Skagway-White Pass Scenic Railway
Victoria-Whale Watching via enclosed jet boat

Any other ideas that would be good for those who just cannot get back up in the air, again, would be great. For those of you who RAVE about the planes & helios, what would you choose instead, if you had to? The trip sounds terrific and we are excited. Want to see
the most, if only from the ground? Thanks, Marty
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursion for Flying Impaired

The Mendenhall float trip is one I do not recommend. Only a brief view of the glacier- rest of trip is trees and backyards. My opinion only but money is better spent elsewhere- for clairfication- whale watching is different out of Juneau- humpbacks likely where out of Victoria- orcas. I do both.
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Excursion for Flying Impaired

Karen16: Cancelled the Float Trip. Switched & booked Mendehall Glacier &Salmon Bake. Saw elsewhere & also your review that "float trip" is via somebody's backyard. Also, the younger, late 20-somethings traveling with us are BIG for a real Salmon Bake. They say they LOVE Salmon and "intend to eat their way thru Alaska on Salmon." Better price, more appropriate for our group of 4 and their interests. 3 of our foursome HATE to fly(1 in fact, taking first ever plane ride to Seattle ) & not likely to EVER board a floatplane or copter. Our Shore Excursions need to be truly on shore, ie the ground!! Thanks for your advice, Marty