Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled
Default Clothing on ship

What kind of clothing do people normally wear on an Alaska trip on board? What kinds of things would be appropriate for the dining room?

I keep wanting to bring summery things since it will be summer but I know it will be cold there. Please help if you can. Thanks!!!

Thanks in advance
Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Clothing on ship

Hi - I don't consider 70's cold but perhaps u do - it can even go into the low 80's in the summer. That said it an also be in the 50 - 60's with rain. On board the ship it is climate controlled and while it isn't the Carib. it can be nice & warm. If u look over some of the other postings it is well documented as to what to wear - I can't improve on what has already been recommended. Happy cruisin'!
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:29 AM
First Mate

I'm going on my first Alaska cruise this summer and I think packing will be the hardest part of the whole trip....When we go to Hawaii or Mexico or the Caribbean, you just pack summer clothes, with perhaps a sweater and a rain jacket. But with this upcoming cruise, I've got to get more organized and I don't know how I'm going to do it; because with a warm weather cruise I tend to overpack as it is and now I have to pack clothes for all temperatures. Also, they're weighing suitcases more and charging if they're over the limit, and when I started cruising over 20 years ago; I don't remember luggage being weighed all the time (maybe it was) but I don't remember it happening. I've been reading posts on Alaska packing, so maybe this will help.
Very excited about going to Alaska. It took me a very long time to talk my husband into a cruise where he's going to be cold.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Beginner

I went on an Alaska cruise in July, and the only days when I felt the temp drop was when it rained. Other then that, the weather was in the high 60s/70s. You might want to bring a few pairs of jeans just to be comfortable, but you don't need a really heavy jacket or anything. Just look over the weather before you go to make sure. In the dining room it's the same as any other cruise...the ships control their climate. Have fun!
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

Thanks for all the information. I was not aware that it would be 70's. That is good.

Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Clothing on ship

After 11 tropical cruises, my wife and I were also wondering what kind of clothes to take to Alaska. Thanks for the info, everybody!

Michele--
We will also be on the July 18 Serenade trip to Alaska. Drop me an email sometime!
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:05 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Re: Clothing on ship

anita,
If you have been reading this board and cruisecritic, you will know from all those who have been there that the layering plan really is the way to go. On any given day in any given area, the weather can vary significantly. You have to plan from the 50's to the 90's. If you do it in layers, you can peel off as the day goes on or sun comes or goes. We had no rain in Ketchikan where it always rains, did have light rain in Sitka, had hazy skies most of the trip until the last day into Vancouever. Only time you really feel the cold weather is glacier watching outside on deck. This requires coat, gloves and a hat or scarf.
Day time is casual with long pants, jeans, sweatshirts, with only dress up needed for evenings on ship. As most have said, don't worry about it, take half of what you think, and enjoy. Besides, you know you will buy a sweatshirt and Tees on board or at ports. Have a great cruise.