Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Marion Paris

Default Re: Did anyone else think Alaska was boring?

We are taking our first Alaska cruise on July 5 out of San Francisco. We have 4 sea days and I am concerned about being bored on the Sea days. I am used to swimming, sunning and feeling the warm sun on sea days. I did get an email from another cruiser who just got home from Alaska and she said she was bored too.

Well, I will make the best of it and have no expectations. We will be on the Regal Princess. Has anyone on this board sailed on the Regal Princess or gone to Alaska on her? Just curious about how you feel your cruise was.

I was also advised that the water is rough going up to Alaska, is this true?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Old June 27th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Admiral

From San Francisco, yes - you can encounter rough sailing.
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow...our cruise in September will be our 5th to Alaska and we have loved each one of them or i guess we wouldn't be headed for our 5th......
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
pdibernardo

Boring? No way! My boyfriend and I snokeled in Ketichan, hiked the rain forest in Juneau which had also had spectacular glaciar views, and rock climbed in Skagway. There were people of varying ages on each of the excursions including the rock climbing.
Tracy Arm was absolutely awe inspiring and was on our way - no seperate tour necessary. We really weren't in Victoria, BC long enough and didn't do a tour but we did get out and walk around to get the flavor of the city.

There weren't enough hours in the day to do all that we wanted to do on the ship itself.

As the others have said, its all what you make it......

We sailed the Sapphire Princess out of Seattle, week of 6/27.

We are planning to sail Princess again - and I'm going to bring my mother and daughter back to Alaska on the Sapphire Princess.

Paula
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Passenger

let's see...are you from NYC by chance??????
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Wait a minute. I traveled to NYC FOUR times last year and it is a GREAT city. I live about 4.5 hours away. You can't beat the theater.

But rather than take the Sapphire again- consider a trip out of Vancouver, far more scenery with more inside passage. Just for a change.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Hi,

It is so easy for people that don't agree with ones feelings to become very mean and angry for some unknown reason. Why do you people take things like this so personal????? If someone doesn't like something that you do why is that such a terrible thing???

I am in my early thirties, happily married, love to vacation and adventurous and I found Alaska kind of boring myself. We went on an excursion in every port and I felt that it was way over prices and I found myself thinking, "thats it". Yes, It is very beautiful in Alaska, but I think I set myself up for disappointment because I was thinking it would be soooooo much more then what it was from all of the hype.

Sorry, I don't agree with this childish behavior that is exhibited here because one person doesn't go nuts over Alaska. This person asked a simple question...period!!!!

I am sorry for all of you that just can't accept that some people don't love the things that you do. It really doesn't make them a bad person, does it?

Go ahead and slam me for my honest comments..............I expect it .
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Passenger

I wanted to rephrase a comment but can't edit my orginal post.

I am referring to just a couple comments. The majority of your comments have been kind. Sorry about that....
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM
ESS

Interesting question -
I first did the Alaskan cruise in 1988. Although I enjoyed the scenic wonders of Alaska, I also found the port cities to be somewhat dull compared to other places I have traveled to all over the world.
Would I do the cruise to Alaska again? You bet I would! Would I exert as much energy in visiting the various ports that we stopped in on our last trip? No. At least I would know that it is the scenery and not the ports that are the major attractions of the Alaskan cruise.
Old July 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Yeoman

i cant imagine being bored on any cruise. but especially not alaska.

just setting and seeing the beautiful scenery is enough for me. i go on vacation to relax ( at times ), do and see new and fun things and be pampered on the ship. you make your vacation yourself by having ( or not having ) the right frame of mind. next time try a different cruise line and tours and you might end up having the cruise you thought it should be.

Old July 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Donna L.

Default Re: Re: Did anyone else think Alaska was boring?

Going to Alaska on same ship this Friday. Any tips? What to definitely do as well as what not to do. I have a 16 year old daugher going who believes it is an "old persons" cruise. Were teenagers on the ship?

Any information would be helpful.
\Thanks
Old July 11th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Donna L.

Default Re: Re: Re: Did anyone else think Alaska was boring?

Sorry,
Was responding to Brian. Going on Celebrity Mercury out of Seattle this Friday.
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Ptb: Although unfortunate, I can certainly identify with how miserable being bored must be. This GREAT, FRESH-AIRED BEAUTIFUL and POWERFUL LAND that I call home is not for everybody, and that brings me comfort in knowing that tsunamis of foreign faces won't be destined to destroy this place, as happened to the majority of the lower 48 states. I do find it extremely offensive that you would refer to Icy Strait Point as a dump - this is something my entire community of Hoonah has worked on for years, nailing up until the last minute - this is a place where my people(The Xunaa Tlingit, aboriginal people of Southeast Alaska)first came together after retreating from Glacier Bay escaping the advancing Glaciers - this is a place where my mother grew up and my grandfather is buried to this day - this is a place RICH in cultural pride, tradition, and heritage (which unfortunately many of us tend to shy away from or not acknowledge within ourselves) - this is a place for those seeking the Alaska of their dreams to come to, and find gratification in the rawness of it all (there are many people who have come to Alaska for the wrong reasons, and sadly leave with little to tell) - THIS IS A PLACE I SAY "HAA AANI AYA (this is our land) and most of all, THIS IS A PLACE I CALL HOME. Many people live their lives in misery, and are destined to be miserable people, and my wish for you PTB is that you may be fortunate enough to be one of them. I respect your opinion, but I did take offense to the things you say, because I feel so strongly about my people, our land, our heritage.
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

I MOST CERTAINTLY APOLOGIZE! I made an honest mistake in saying to PTB, "Many people live their lives in misery, and are destined to be miserable people, and my wish for you PTB is that you may be fortunate enough to "be on of them". Please accept my apology, and what I meant to say was "Many people live their lives in misery, and are destined to be miserable people, and my wish for you PTB is that you may be fortunate enough NOT to be on of them." I wish to offend no one, for you can see through my post how one might feel when they become offended. I also wanted to show my appreciation for those of you who came to this great, majestic place for the right reasons. It is truly my belief that we are all better people for it. GUNALCHEESH! (Thank you).
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Beginner

I did the Duck tour with my husband. It was informative but very slow. I would recommend spending your time on a better excursion. We saw very little of Creek Street which I would like to have seen more of.
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:46 AM
First Mate

I read a website regularly, and the author recently went to Alaska. He was advised not to pay for shore excursions. He found Alaska boring.

Duh?

The advisor cruised the Caribbean a lot. It's just not the same thing.

If you don't do excursions, booked independently or through the ship, you are not experiencing much of Alaska. The towns are very small.

If you helicopter, floatplane, get OUT of town, it's breathtaking. If you don't, you're not experiencing it.

Just my opinion.

Denise
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
pg

It is a shame that the excursions are so exspensive, I realize that it is supply and demand, and that the tourist dollar keeps some of these towns afloat, but the shore exs. can run into astronmical amounts.
That does make it tough for some cruisers to get the most out of their Alaskan cruise.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I originally thought this post was crazy. I am now willing to say that Alaska would have been terribly boring without excursions. Many (if not all) of the towns are very touristy...if I see another diamond store, so help me! The architecture (in almost every place) is a complete triumph of function over form (probably with good reason)...Creek Street and Skagway excepted. I'm not sure that the local museums would have been enough to sustain me...certainly not port after port on a single trip.

That being said, if you have excursions - perhaps that should read "the right excursions" - it is a magical place. We kayaked, glacier trekked and hiked, explored the development of the forest after a glacier moves through and emersed ourselves in the history. By the way, Skagway is great if you make good use of the National Park Services (we did a slide show on the development of Broadway and the walking tour...highly recommend both). Expensive? Sure. But you just need to factor that in to get the experience.
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:48 PM
PTB

Dear Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy,
I respect how you feel about your heritage and the place where your people grew up and lived or live. Ill show respect to your people by not bringing my negitavity back to your part of the world until Im 80 or so, pending Im fortunate to live that long. Maybe by then I will appreciate how slow and beautiful the surrounding actually are. My Alaska trip was very nice and Im glad that I was fortunate to have enough money for my wife and I to see a alot of things that most of the people in the United States cant afford to see!
One last thing. Thank you for revivng this dead old thread so that other people can see that there is another side to the Alaska experience.
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

It is what you make of it. I went into this expecting long days on the road (I did a 14 day cruisetour with 9 days on land) and lots of train,bus,and boat trips. I expectted to see a lot of the land and a little wildlife (there was actually a whole lot of wildlife) and went into this with great expectations. I was not dissapointed. Alaska is a vast and peaceful place and you have to expect that. In my opinion, just doing a cruise doesn't really give you the taste of the land. Sure, its not a high-powered place like New York City, but why would one think this is what one would see.

On the otherhand, there was one couple with us, that the husband went nuts because he wanted to see some country, for maybe an hour a day, then be at his next hotel room for drinks and sleep. Until we got to the cruise ship I thought he would explode. But even then, we didn't get from port to port in 30 minutes and he hated it.

Another couple went into this knowing that excursions cast a lot so they made sure they took the one they wanted and did everything else with the minimal amount of money they could, and they still had a blast. You have to remember most of these excursions cost so much because the tourist season is a small window for them to make their annual incomes.

And to Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy ,,Your land is beautiful and I cannot wait to visit it again.

Ron

Ron
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from our cruise to Alaska yesterday. I have to agree with jrask. We did the inside passage and if all you do is hop off the ship and walk around town into those overpriced tourist trap shops then YES, Alaska is boring! Excursions are a must if you cruise to Alaska and even with excursions you are limited to what you can see and do, which is a shame.
Both my husband and I feel like we did not really get to see the real Alaska. We were in port for such a short time we barely got a taste of what this beautiful country is about.
I think if all you want is an idea of what Alaska is about take a cruise, do excusions and stay out of the crowded, overpriced trinket shops. If you really want to enjoy this country, fly in and stay for awhile. I would also like to add that the nicest people we met in Alaska were the Native Americans (Tlingit..). They were very pleasant and friendly to deal with, while the whites from Alaska were rude and nasty to deal with.
So this isn't taken out of context and made into something ugly, I'm white and other whites I spoke with on our ship felt the same exact way. With Juneau being the absolute worst.
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
DALSAL

I dont think it was the 1st post about being bored..think it was toward the end of the 2nd post (did you read that one??) that got everyone up in arms.I too have never sailed to Alaska,but am booked for the Mercury in May,2005,and have heard nothing but good reviews.As I have only been on one cruise with R.C. to western carribbean,which I loved,the Mercury does not sound as exciting to me as Rhapsody.But,Im not that interested in the ship itsself,Im going for the views off my balcony.Looking forward to Mercury May 20,2005 ! .......just my 2 cents worth!
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Passenger

Yes a couple of years ago we were on the Regal throughout the entire South Pacific for 34 days. Tokyo to San Francisco. It rides the sea very well. Deep draft and not a relatively flat bottom like some of these new ships. I was very impressed with it.
Old September 26th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Quote: Sorry, I don't agree with this childish behavior that is exhibited here because one person doesn't go nuts over Alaska. This person asked a simple question...period!!!!

Think it was a little more than that "simple question" that caused some heat. In the persons second post this statement was made: Quote: "Me for not have an amazing overpriced time or for all of you who are lying to yourselves." Look at the posts between the first originating post and the second, every response to that point was positive although almost every one disagreed with the original supposition.

Seems to me that making a claim that everybody who disagrees with one is "lying to themselves" is rather like throwing down the gauntlet and asking for a negative reaction.

Post Edited (09-26-04 20:10)
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:04 AM
vacationhappy

You know, when I told family friends that we were going to Alaska they just rolled their eyes. They also thought Alaska was boring which I found strange since they are skiers, "outdoors" people and well traveled. After that conversation, I was a bit aprehensive since I usually value their opinion. We went anyway and LOVED it....can't wait to go back one day.

I think it would be repetitive if you just get off the boat and walk around the ports. I think to really experience Alaska, you need to book excursions whether you book them privately or book them through the cruise line.
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:09 PM
ic

How can you possibly think Alaska is Boring!!!!!! I have been in all every state except
Hawaii(next year), and I was in awe of the gorgeous landscapes, the mountains the people and yes even the small harbor or port towns. I live in the mid-west and as was already said about Florida, we just don't get to see to many mountains here, and I have yet to see whales in Wisconsin.
Well to each their own. I hope you find somewhere you can enjoy even 1 tenth as much
as we enjoyed the great land of Alaska.
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:03 AM
lbeck

Interesting thread. I'm planning a trip to AK and didn't get turned off by PTB's comments. Like anything else, you have to get a "statistically significant sample" for anything to be meaningful (sorry, I'm a scientist). Most of what I've read, even on this thread, has been positive.

I especially was entertained by the 3-things post on 6/14 above.

One thng that I've learned in life it is is that you've got the "glass half-full / glass half-empty" people where ever you go I tend to look for the positive and don't get disappointed unless things are REALLY bad.

I'm looking forward to Alaska (still).
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I went to Alaska in 2001 and loved it. The scenery is breathtaking. I am trying to see if I can swing it for May of 05!!! I am from the NYC area so I was in awe that the land (mountains, glaciers, etc...) was larger then buildings. While I dont live in NYC I am so used to seeing man made structures tower over me. I was impressed with the fact that in Alaska it was the land that was so mighty not man-made features.

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Beginner

The original poster reminds me of a lady I work with. She went on a cruise to Alaska and was also bored. She came back and complained about everything. But...we knew before she left that she wouldn't like it. Every time I get ready to go on another cruise, which is once or twice a year, she comes over and rants and raves to me about "Why would you want to waste your money like that?". Every time I tell her "We love it !!! We could live on a cruise ship!!" She just says "Yuck!" But....she's negative about everything, not just cruises..........so I don't necessarily think it was Alaska or cruising...it's just life in general!!! Some people just aren't "Happy" people.

Old November 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Yeoman

laginog

your are right. you just cant please some people. and im sure they are the same in their real iife as well if they thought alaska and its ports where boring. a cruise is what you make it. i am just so greatful that i have the oppoprtunity to go on a cruise every year and a half because i save and scrimp for the trip. i will never be bored on the ship or in any port no matter where i would go or for how many days.

and i will always have a smile on my face and be very excited..