Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled
Default Help Needed!!!!

We are leaving on Friday for our cruise. We are staying in Vancouver for 2 days. My question is what type of clothes should we take? I have read all the things about it and I understand that we are to bring stuff to layer. I get that part. But on the ship what kinds of clothes would we be wearing (jeans, sweat outfits (for me), or nicer clothes such as capri or slacks (hubby)). I saw pictures and it looks like on the decks it is cold. I know that we need to dress up for the dining room and any other place to eat. Any help would be much appreciated since I am stressing right about now. Also we are going via royal caribbean and was curious about their laundry service that they have. How long does it take to get things ironed and or cleaned?

Thanks
Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help Needed!!!!

The jeans and sweat pants are fine, although I never take jeans myself and greatly like lined and unlined wind pants better. The key is quick drying. If you send out laundry usually it takes 24 hours- ball park.
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just wore jeans during the day for either onboard or excursions, they were fine, but I usually wear jeans at home anyway. Royal Caribbean does offer a laundry service, they don't however have any self service laundry rooms. May-be at your hotel they have some and you can do wash before you board??

Have Fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Familiar Face

I leave Sat. Morning, an I'm in the same boat (no pun intended).

I have a dark suit for formal nights, but now it looks like I need to buy a sport coat for the informal nights.

I am a jean person, so that's what I prefer to wear during the days if that's appropriate.

We are spending a week pre-cruise with a rent-a-car going to Denali. We will probably need to find a laundramat in Anchorage before we go to get on the cruiseship. Do they have self service laundry on board? I assume the ship's laundry service is an additional fee.

I usually like to travel light, but it seems that for this cruise, with all of the things we are doing (like horseback riding and river rafting) and with the formal dining attire needed, we will have to pack a ton of stuff.

Dozer

Celebrity Summit
Seward to Vancouver
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM
famwald

I saw very few jeans on the ship during our cruise to Alaska in June. The few I saw looked a little out of place.

I wore LLBean Bayside Twills & LandsEnd chinos (my ever-trusty favorite travel slacks). When in doubt, I prefer to err on dressing up.
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Admiral

I do my laundry in Talkeetna and there is a laundry in Seward on 4th. As well as plenty in Anchorage. I also do laundry off ship in Skagway- can be done in a little over an hour- 2nd and State, down and across from the Red Onion. Did you happen to get the Alamo or Dollar rental special???
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Familiar Face

You take your laundry off the ship at a port? Someone told me that there are coin laundry facilities on board.

I got a Dollar car rental. I booked back in the fall, so I got a much better price than the going rate. I think it was $30 or $35 a day for a mid-size sedan.

Celebrity Summit
Seward to Vancouver
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:09 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Help Needed!!!!

almost all ships have laundry fac on board, but they can be crowded and hot. On our HAL cruise, most people had jeans or similar on during day and on excusions. Not too many dress up during day, rest are in casual.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:01 AM
ute_fan_79

We were on the NCL Sun in June. It did not have self-serve laundry facilities. We did see lots of jeans during the day, mostly casual dresses or khaki type pants (both men and women) at dinner. I was chilly most of the time, so I wore a sweatshirt layered over a long sleeve shirt, but I usually feel the chill more than hubby does.
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Cindy Sue

We just back from the Alaskan Cruise (Princess Diamond)....You don't need a sport coat for dinner.....We saw everything from jeans to suits...Mostly the gentlemen wore slacks and a sport shirt. Also on the formal night...Mostly dark suits...a few tuxedos. During the day there were lots of jeans, shorts, and slacks. You will not feel out of place with jeans.

Have fun...we did!

Cindy
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Micheled

I am still packing. I noticed i packed a lot of short sleeve shirts. Should i revist that? and pack more long sleeve type stuff?

Thanks
Michele

Serenade of the Seas: Alaska
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Jeannette

We took 7 tee shirts for my husband and two for me. I also took two long sleeve cotton shirts. For evening, I took a skirt, nice slacks and three tops in addition to formal wear. I took jeans and one other fancy pair of jeans. Because we danced every night, I wore everything. In addition to the tee shirts, my husband took 3 nice short sleeve shirts, one long sleeve shirt and a jacket. He wore the nice short sleeve shirts a lot. He could have used a lighter jacket because it was very warm when we went June 26. It was a lot to pack and I could have left a few things out but we were going to spend three days in Vancouver at the end and I needed nice dinner clothes anyway.
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Dollar and Alamo are/were running a $129/week out of Anchorage. Better than $30/day which is high for what I pay. Even Priceline is common with $20/day acceptance rates- of course ++++ taxes. Yes, I always take my laundry off ship in Skagway. On the ship- there are 1/2 size machines and inadquate dryers. With LONGER AND LONGER lines and waits as the week goes on- if you sail southbound- the lines and waits are immediate.