Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Sandra41

Default M&D's 50th any ideas?????

My Mom and Dad are celebrating ther 50th wedding anniversary next year and are taking all the family on a cruise,ther will be a total of 12 of us. I am looking for any ideas of special things to do for them on the cruise. I will be getting threr wedding album and getting copies, and making a sweatshirt for each of us with a differant photo. But I would love to hear any ideas from you. Thank you Sandra
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: M&D's 50th any ideas?????

I don't know if its helpful or just amusing. The helicopter that picked us up for the return flight from the glacier dropped off a bridal party ... yep a Glacier Wedding (aka good excuse for not serving hot food at the reception). So, if you're looking for an interesting place for a renewal of vows ...
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Arrange for a family get together of some kind and also arrange for a private "special" dinner for the lovebirds as well. Perhaps the DJ in the disco could play their wedding song for them.
Is their a surprise friend or relative they don't expect to be on the cruise that you could get to join you? Of course get some family photos and portraits taken.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
ute_fan

One fun thing that my cousin did for my Aunt & Uncle's 50th anniversay was to make them a quilt. They sent a white fabric quilt square to all of their friends and family, and asked them to design it however they wanted. Some people did embroidery, some had pictures printed onto the squares, but it turned out looking very nice. They then put together a patchwork quilt, with colored squares (the colors of their bedroom) mixed in with the white ones.

Of course, you need to have the necessary talent to put it together, which I certainly don't. It might also be a little bit big to take on the cruise, but I know they really appreciated the sentiments from people they didn't see very often.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Sparrow

If you plan a special shore excursion in Skagway and if you are interested in horseback riding have a look at www.yukonhorses.com. They do western holdups and kidnappings for fun; may be it would be cool to have them kidnapped by real cowboys / cowgirls... after the kidnapping you will have a beautiful ride all togehter. (they have enough horses for 12 riders, no problem).
Old November 7th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Copperhead626

We celebrated our parents 50th last April with a family cruise. My sister sent a form letter out to all their friends 6 months prior to the cruise requesting that they write down a funny story or memory of my parents. We provided them with one page and a stamped return envelope with a deadline to return by. Everyone in the family also wrote a page. Then my sister took all the letters and bound them into a book. My parents loved it.

We also got an edible picture made of their wedding picture and their 50th anniversary picture and gave it to the maitre'd and they made a cake out of it (no charge).

I am a quilter so I made them a picture quilt with over 200 pictures from the last 50 years. It was alot of work but worth it when I saw the expressions on their faces.

You can reserve a room on the ship for special events and could order up an afternoon tea(check with your travel agent or the cruiseline directly). We just went to one of the bars that didn't open until later and opened the gifts there.

I also contacted our Prime Minister(I live in Canada), Governor General, and various other local politicians and they all sent letters of congrats. We also contacted so of their favorite actors and actresses but only one replied. In all fairness though a few were not in good health.

We also had a family portrait taken onboard.

I took 5oth Anniversary balloons and decorations on board and decorated their room and the room steward made swans with a heart in the middle out of towels.

We also ordered them a tropical flower arrangement that was in their room when they arrived onboard.

We had a great time together and family members still talk about it.