Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:59 PM
venus

Default weather unpredictability

We're going to do the inside passage cruise in July 2005. I know no-one can predict weather, but we really want to do the helicoptor glacier and sled dog tour in Juneau but wonder about getting rained out. Does anyone have any idea at all what percentage of the time these tours need to be cancelled because of poor weather? Would we be better off doing something else that rain or shine probably wouldn't be cancelled (altho I really have my heart set on this tour).
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: weather unpredictability

This tour is the MOST canceled off all Alaska tours. It is less canceled out of Skagway. You are asking a question that can't be answered, no one can predict the weather. They do NOT get canceled because of rain but because of visability. The problem is the glacier dog sledding is a fixed camp where sometimes, the regular glacier helicopter landings can vary their locations and landings. I have been canceled on this tour twice, but have glacier helicopter landed 6 times. If this is a priority- book it and hope for the best, if it is canceled have back up plans, and perhaps you can get a helicopter glacier landing instead??? Think about this in advance so you have choices already made.