Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
leo

Default Need lodging suggestions for Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage

Can anyone suggest a moderately priced lodging for these 3 areas...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Need lodging suggestions for Denali, Talkeetna and Ancho

Plenty of B&B's to consider. what is your "moderate" price range?? Are you willing to share a bath?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Need lodging suggestions for Denali, Talkeetna and A

Hello Leo,
We stayed at The Perch, about 9 miles south of park on last trip. Series of cabins/cottages, some on river across from Denali River Cabins. Pizza cafe and nice resturant on property. Between $95-100 per nite for private bath. Breakfast included but not available until 6am.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM
leo

I really don't know what to expect yet from Denali Hotels but we definitely need a bathroom of our own.

I'm not sure what price range what i should expect, maybe bet ween $75-$125 night. I'm willing to pay more if it's a must that we are close to the park.

The Perch lodge mentioned above which is 9 miles away, how long and how hard will it be going to the park the following day?

thanks again!
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Admiral

I most always stay at Touch of Wilderness B&B in Healy for Denali Park, allow 20 minutes to get to the park. Excellent property. In Anchorage, Teddy Bear B&B has one private bath double room for about $125, Chickadee B&B is also good.
there are plenty of B&B's to consider. Look over lists and try one out.
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:52 AM
jq

Leo
Assuming you have car, from the Perch to denali entrance took about 12-15minutes, left about 6am and got there plenty early for our 6:45am shuttle. We got coffee and muffin inside pizza place there and headed out. Coming home was longer because on both nites we saw moose just outside the park eating along road so of course we had to stop for 10-15minutes and watch!!!! The denali river cabins were across the river from us and I heard they were okay also. Most of these places are older, cabin style loding hopefully clean but not real fancy or loaded with big hotel services. If you search internet under denali lodging, you should find something in your price range if you don't wait too long.
Old March 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
leo

jg,
i'm looking at the perch's pictures and this how their cabins look like..they don't look much from the outside, do they look better from the inside?..do they have heating there, or do we even need heating on june?

http://www.denaliperchresort.com/16.html

karen, thanks for your tips...i booked at teddy bear in anchorage...i'm still looking for a better rate than Touch of Wilderness...if i can't find something that i like, i may take that though
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:29 PM
SharB

Check out
Denali Dome Home in Healy - approx 10 miles from the Denali Visitor Center. Highly recommended and comes with an excellent breakfast.

http://www.alaskaone.com/denalidome/

Shar
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:44 PM
SharB

Leo,
With the amount of time you have, it wouldn't make any sense to stay in Talkeetna - it's about an hour drive from Denali and way off the main road. You could easily see it and return to the park or head back to Fairbanks. Of course, others may disagree ...
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM
leo

Shar, thanks for the B&B info but i already made a reservation at Touch of Wilderness...i followed karen's tip...darn, i think i have followed all of karen's tips...i also booked at teddy bears in anchorage...i guess i can't go wrong with that...

also, why do you think i will not have enough time for talkeetna?....i have a full day with car from denali to anchorage...

karen, do you have any idea how long will it take from fairbanks airport to Touch of Wilderness...i thank you again for your help!
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Shar- Talkeetna is 3+ hours from Denali Park NOT 1. It is also RIGHT on his way toward Anchorage and only 16+ miles off the Parks Highway. I highly recommend a stop in Talkeetna for a quick look and good meal options. From Fairbanks to Healy will be about 2 hours, keep track of the mileposts, there is only one little sign for Stampede Rd. You will be making a right from Parks.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM
SharB

Karen,
Thanks for the correction.

Leo,
I'm sorry if you misunderstood me - by all means you should SEE Talkeetna, I just isn't convenient to stay overnight there (unless you're taking one of the sightseeing flights). We did drive from Healy to Talkeetna and on to Anchorage with plenty of time for photos and daylight. (this was in Sept)

Shar
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM
leo

what is the latest time that i should leave anchorage, so i can be at whittier dock with enough time for boarding?.... my ship leaves at 9:30PM...but from what i have read there is nothing to do in whittier, so i'd like to go as there as late as i can afford to...
.i will be driving...
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
SharB

Leo:
It depends on where you are in Anchorage, it's a big city.

Shar
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:06 PM
SharB

I did a mapquest and it showed an hour and a half drive. You might want to leave early enough to see Turnagain Arm in the daylight. It's a beautiful drive. I'm sure Karen will help with more detailed info.

Shar
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Admiral

I would suggest you be on board by 8pm. It is about 1 1/2 hours drive PLUS tunnel wait, be sure to have the current schedule. So I would leave Anchorage 5:30pm or about. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...el/index.shtml