Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Default suggestions for Sitka

I am so glad I found this site.. I love reading your suggestions...Karen, you have been particularly helpful. I am planning our first cruise ever and we are going to Alaska.
We will be cruising in July on Celebrity's Infinity. Ports of call are Ketichan, Juneau and Sitka. So far we have booked the following shore excurions:

Ketichan: We will be docked from 7 am to4pm and have booked a Misty Fiords Flightseeing tour (10-12) with Island Wings Air Service. any other suggestions for this port that fits into that schedule? What time do Museums and local shops open?

Juneau: Used Orca Enterprises to book a combination tour (thanks to what I'd learned from the message boards) ...Whale watching (capt. Larry) and Icefield Excursion ( with Coastal Helicopter for a Glacier Landing) I had written to Capt Larry about some concerns I had after reading some postings about his tour (see message " Whale Watcing In Juneau" for his response. Linda at Coastal and Kelly at Orca enterprises have been wonderfully helpful along with "Capt Larry" himself!!!
This is a full day in Juneau (dock 8am until 10 pm) Our whale watching is at 9 am to 12;30 and Helicopter ride is at 1 pm. ( with 1 hour of flight time which includes time on glacier) Orca arranges transfers to and from tours. Any other suggestions for the evening hours in Juneau?

And Lastly Sitka We are docked from 8 am until 4pm....we have not planned anything for this port...should we just wing it and do walking tour on our own .....also considering the semi- submersible boat , kayaking or fishing.... I would appreciate and suggestions and feed back.... zany
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: suggestions for Sitka

In Sitka Kayaking is excellent, but this is a very compact and worthwhile city to do a self walking tour taking in many sites. Highlights- Raptor Center, Sitka National Park, Sheldon museum, St. Michaels church, Archangles dancers etc etc. Request their visitor guide www.sitka.org Plenty to keep you occupied in Juneau and Ketchikan, shops are open when ships are in. Walk around, plenty of hidden gems in the towns. Again request visitor guides www.visit-ketchikan.com www.traveljuneau.com
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:57 PM
Beginner

Thanks Karen for the suggestions. I have requested visitor guides from Sitka and from Ketchikan.

Has anyone done the semi-submersible boat in Sitka?

How about the Gold Creek Salmon bake in Juneau? What is that like....is time better spent seeing the sights in Juneau......Welcome any feedback...
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM
BJones

We have been to Sita twice and will return in September. We've enjoyed the the Russian America and Raptor tour offered by Celebrity.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
Beginner

Default Re: suggestions for Sitka/ Kayaking?

thanks ....BJones.....I looked into the tour and it looks interesting.

still considering kayaking out of sitka...Can anyone recommend an outfit?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Kayak venders are listed in the Sitka visitor guide. Gold Creek salmon bake is good, but no reason to ship book they will have a continous running loop bus at the dock, then not tied down to specific times.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
JUGL11

Sitka - A walk up & down Lincoln St. is worthwhile, taking in all the sites from Castle Hill to the park.

I went to the Gold Creek Salmon Bake in Juneau, & would recommend it. If you can pull yourself away from the delicious fish (in a brown sugar glaze), talk a walk back along the creek to the waterfall. Some of my favorite pictures from the trip were taken there.
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: suggestions for Sitka

Sitka also has an all day inexpensive trolley that you can get off and on for various attractions mentioned above. We took two bus tours, one russian thru ship and one native, booked independent. Both were late starting, rushed us thru things and had to wait for slowest person. I think trolley might be best way.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Beginner

thanks for the advice...I think we will definitely go to the Gold Creek Salmon bake and enjoy the surrounding area. I saw picture online of the waterfall..looks gorgeous. Is there panning for gold near the site also?

Sitka is still open for us ...we may wait to book on board...still considering Salmon fishing. My husband will enjoy it but I don't know if I'll be bored ( I know that sounds terrible but I've never been out on afishing boat before and don't know what to expect) Anyw thanks for the trolley suggestion. I will definitely give it some thought...