Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
lucy5

Default misty fjords / bear viewing

Has anybody taken any tours with Family Air Tours to Misty Fjords? Is it worth the extra money to go past the fjords to view the glacier? How about a bear tour to Prince of Wales Island or Anan Creek - is late May or early June too soon to see bear? Any input or other flight suggestion are appreciated. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: misty fjords / bear viewing

Hi There,
I wanted to see bear but I understand that they are eating up a storm form August to October, getting ready for the winter.
As for the Glacier, we are doing the Mandahall glacier.Also, the jeep tour in Skagway and the flight to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan.
Hope you have a great time.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:45 AM
Admiral

Yes you are way too early for the bear tours, I don't recommend going before end of July. There are better glacier viewing areas out of Juneau, with a glacier helicopter landing way superior. But a combo tour can be a cost effective way to view both certainly.

The Skagway jeep tours get consistant poor reviews, information only.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
beckybear

Bears are viewable in the lower elevations when the salmon start coming up the streams. The bears come to eat them. Pack Creek out of Juneau bear viewing starts around 4th of July Anan out of Ketchikan is second week of July.

www.alasakpersonaltous.com
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Carole Dunham

Flightseeing over Misty Fjords, especially if you land in one of the mountain lakes, is IMHO, the most maginificent excursion in Alaska. I've cruised Alaska 11 times and after I did the Misty Fjords flight, I always repeated it. I will cruise there with an affinity group next year and you can bet I'll be back on a flight to Misty Fjords.

Carole
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Admiral

ALL Misty fjords floatplane trips lake land. The difference is IF you are allowed off the plane. Most all ship contracted flights do not and the independents do. But verify this at time of booking.
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Well just to add input, do take a Misty Fjords trip, it was one of the major highlights of our cruisetour last year.

I choose Seawind Avation based on they were the first to get back to me after leaving email posts, at the time when we booked offered the longest flight, and offered the longest landing time. From the ads I checked out (remember I have nothing but ads to base this on since it was my one trip) many companys seem to land and have you get out on the floats. I was afraid my wife, who is little balanced challenged, would fall into the lake so Seawind made sure we landed and floated to t he shore where we got out and had about 20-25 minutes of pure solitude and picture taking.

So no matter what company you choose,,,DO IT.
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
linda OF nj

Default Re: Re: misty fjords / bear viewing

Ford Racing Mom. Going to Alaska end of June. After hearing many good reports, we booked our Mistry Fjords trip with Island Wings Air Service. Take a look at their web site at www.islandwings.com. They provide very interesting information about their flights.