Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
H

Default Alaska Cruise tours?

My wife and I will take a land tour from Fairbanks in August, with Princess. We will then cruise to Vancouver, stopping at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican. We have so many tours to choose from, so we need your help.

We have thought that we would like to try dog sledding, but is this possible in August. See bears feeding on salmon and one other - open to suggestion. So, which is the best of the three stops to do these things?? Help!

H
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM
mslvp

Default Re: Alaska Cruise tours?

Hi.

I went 2 years ago - 3rd week i august & I think the dog sledding was ok.

Have fun!
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Glacier dog sledding will be available out of Skagway and Juneau, with Juneau the most canceled, Skagway not far behind, so always have back up plans. Consider booking direct with Coastal out of Juneau, TEMSCO out of Skagway and supposed to be back in Juneau? As for bears feeding on salmon- Ketchikan has fly ins for BLACK bears (a lot of people want the browns), I have gone to Neets Bay and Anan- with Anan my clear preference. Again, book direct- listings www.visit-ketchikan.com If you want brown bear viewing, probably your only option will be Pack Creek out of Juneau- go with Alaska Fly N Fish- you need permits.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM
H

Default Re.Food prices

Can anyone tell me how much we are likely to pay for meals at the Wilderness Lodges. We have read that Alaska is very expensive.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

Well, someone last year made a suggestion of budgeting about 50% more then you would for a normal type of trip in the lower 48 due to the expense in Alaska(BTW, I did a 13 day cruisetour with HAL, 4 nights on the ship, the rest in Alaska and the Yukon.) I found that to be a really good estimate. I don't know it this is a lot or not but when I travel I figure about 150 to 175 a day for food and stuff (gasoline, tours etc.,,,,excluding hotels). For Alaska I figured 200-225 a day and that worked for me. I had money leftover when I returned home and that included adding a glacier walk I had not counted on when I left (I did pre-pay for my Misty fjords trip).
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Admiral

I always recommend budget 50% more than you would at home. Especially on cruisetours without your own transportation, meals can and will get pricey.
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
tyttyx

Default Re: Re: Alaska Cruise tours?

Karen, you mentioned that you can see bear feedings on salmon in Ketichan, and you also mention seeing bear feeding on Icy Strait too.,,,,,, Which port has better view for this, can which has higher chance of seeing this.
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Admiral

When are you going??? Anan out of Ketchikan is just excellent from end of July through August. Neets Bay a little later. I don't know the stats of Icy Stright? But this tour is way cheaper since it doesn't do a fly in. If bears are YOUR priority, I would book them both, just my opinion.
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Laureen

Hi Karen 16 ~ I see you suggest Coastal out of Juneau for a helicopter/glacier landing tour. Any suggestion for which one? The Adventure Tour is 1.5 hrs....the Icefield Excursion is 1 hr. Both land on a glacier, but the second one is $100 bucks LESS.
Are there major differences as to "WHICH" glacier one lands on? Or are they all
really cool experiences? Thanks...Laureen
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Any glacier landing is a unique experience since they are in a constant state of change, none recommended any more than another by me.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM
mammag

Karen,

Do you think that glacier landing is as good out of Skagway as out of Juneau?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Admiral

Yes, both areas offer excellent glacier landings.