Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Ken W.

Default Excursion Questions

Can anyone give me any input on the Glacier Lake Kayak & Scenic Railway excursion? I know I want to take the White Pass Scenic Railway but am unsure about the kayaking part of the excursion. I'm also considering the Klondike Bicycle Tour, but I understand that you can rent a bicycle in town, take the railway up to Frazier and then ride down on your own. The only downside to the latter, according to the person I talked to, is that you have to go slightly uphill for approximately 4 to 5 miles before you go downhill. Has anyone tried either one of these, and do you know how much of an uphill climb you would experience if you rented the bicycles on your own?
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursion Questions

Where is the kayaking?? I know they kayak out of Haines but is this booked as a COMBO with the rail??? If so, then it would be on the lake outside of Fraiser.

As for your bike question. The train doesn't take bikes that I know of?? IF you were to rent the bike in town, which you can, you would have a 20+++ mile UPHILL ride to the summit. The bike tours are all downhill. You have INCORRECT information about
"4-5 miles uphill from Fraiser". You are already at the top of the summit and past White Pass.

But there is NO bike path and ride on narrow lanes with heavy traffic. Some very steep areas.