Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Nightmare

Norwegian Dream
Sailing Dates August 1 – August 11, 2005

Destinations: Sitka. Hubbard Glacier, Whittier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert

This cruise adventure started as a present from our parents. We used CruiesShopping.com purchasing an ocean view stateroom class HH on June 5, 2005. We were so excited to get these view rooms.

Then came STRIKE 1. When our tickets arrived we were even more excited to discover that NCL had upgraded or tickets to an H class. Great!! An upgrade… what a great cruise line. We went online and downloaded our room location. Great Room 8247…wait, look real close, our upgrade was to a view of a lifeboat. Thanks NCL. We called but were told there were only 4 HH rooms on the entire ship and those were sold already. OK, guess we at least know where the lifeboats are.

Then came STRIKE 2. Four days before our departure on August 1st we received a letter dated June 30th stating that the ship was experiencing technical difficulties and was running on reduced power. That letter was mailed right before our departure not on June 30th. Was this because NCL worried about cancellations due to this problem what do you think? Because of this “technical problem affecting the Norwegian Dream’s speed, we would not be able to call on Sitka”. Given the Russian influence on this part of Alaska, this is one port we were excited about visiting. Needless to say, my wife was on the phone to NCL Customer Relations. Emily at NCL stated that no compensation was available. After being told she could only fax Guest relations she convinced someone that a person could be contacted and she was able to, after a substantial wait, talk to Kennedy at NCL Guest Relations, she learned no compensation was available for the lost port. Asking to be transferred to a supervisor, my wife was told only the Captain could authorize compensation.

Embarkation went very well, at least for us. The Port of Seattle was well organized and things went quickly. BUT, it seems only a few passengers got the letter about Sitka. There were a few upset passengers at Pier 66 to say the least. The loss of the Sitka port was the leading conversation at almost every table for the next few meals.

Next came the Q & A session with the Captain and the Crew. Seems one of main propulsion generator engines had thrown a rod. The captain and the crew were less than committal on any statements they made about compensation. Someone asked why we couldn’t stop by Sitka on the way up, since we do sail past it, but were told the ship’s speed would not allow it to be included in the schedule.

Having left Seattle at 4:00pm Monday, we got to see the Hubbard Glacier early Thursday Morning. It was glorious and a most wonderful experience.

Four days on a cruise ship is too much for most people. We arrived at Whittier Friday morning. Finally we got off the ship and had a great time visiting the Surprise glacier. Juneau and Ketchikan were also welcome ports to see.

Price Rupert, a required international port of call, was only a five-hour port of call. Did that much time give us more than enough time to see everything available for a cruise passenger? We did leave port late due to bus problems on shore. Most passengers were aboard on time and waited patiently to leave port.

After leaving Prince Rupert, while eating in the Terraces Restaurant on level 9, about 7:30 p.m., a loud banging and shuttering occurred on the floors below. The serving staff suddenly looked concerned, as did most of the people eating. Fifteen seconds later, all was quiet. I figured they had fixed the broken engine and were firing it up for the first time. STRIKE 3, no we lost another engine and were now running on even lower on power. Wednesday morning the Captain told us we would be late getting into Seattle the next day. During the disembarkation meeting Wednesday morning, Soozy, the Cruise Director told us a phone bank would be set up in the board room for passengers to make changes to their travel arrangements. The bank must have been broke because only two phones were made available. That afternoon at lunch, an elderly couple at our table was panicked because they were number 84 on the waiting list to use the phone. We let them use our cell to contact Alaska Airlines and change their plans. Soozy also told us the video of this meeting would be replayed on the TV system for others to review. This never happened so my wife was left to believe my evaluation of the meeting.

We were originally scheduled to arrive in Seattle at 7:00am; we finally docked at about 2:00pm. We disembarked at 4:20pm and there were still four lower floors to go.

The room stewards, wait staff, and bartenders were wonderful. With all of the challenges that were occurring, they kept a sense of humor. We really appreciated their contribution to our vacation. The entertainment was good, although some passengers could sing better than some of the onboard talent. The food was marginal at best. We ended choosing multiple entrees hoping to get a winner. For additional cost, we could have eaten at La Bistro, the upscale restaurant, we didn’t. The chocolate buffet was not worth staying up for.

As for NCL, they seem to have a bait and switch method of dealing with bad situations. They are very good at sending the customer to another person in the organization. No one was willing to make any commitment on how the corporation was going to handle these situations. Granted technical problems occur and that’s just a part of life. How a corporation treats their customers in these situations will determine if the customer will return for more business. Strike 3 your out in our book. These two customers will never step foot on another NCL ship.

Also, we were charged for $170 worth of port fees. Should I at least get some of that back? Since we never entered Sitka is it fair that NCL corporate increases its profit margin at our expense? I think not! Fuel cost must have been less since we ran at a much lower speed than promised. Financial compensation and a written letter of apology from NCL is the least that we can expect don’t you agree?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Norwegian Nightmare

I'm sorry your cruise was far less than exceptional.

Our last NCL cruise was on the Dream as well. We loved our itinerary but were not at all happy with the ship. Guest relations really didn't care about customer criticisms at all. It is highly unlikely we will ever cruise NCL again unless there are big noticable changes. I hope there will be because their customers deserve better!
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Admiral

I sailed the Star in May and the cruise was just excellent with no complaints from me. Wonderful routing- did inside Vancouver Island on the return and freestyle is the best bet for Alaska. Overall, all cruiselines have cut back.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
eugene9649

I just came back from NCL Dream cruise from 8/11 - 8/22, just next cruise after you was complaining about. The same engine problem was not fixed. We get letter in port during embarkation ( was delayed by 5 hours) that we skip ports of Ketchican and Sitka and spend less time in Seward. ( arriving at 1PM instead of 8 AM). We did get a compensation of 300$ per cabin I think it does not cover our disappointment by missing all those ports. So we end up with 5 days at see on this relatively small ship. Kind of boring experience. I got impression that NCL is trying to save money on maintenance and thing like engine does not like it.

Also, interesting situation was on Hubbard glacier. Or captain positioned the ship in front of the glacier at some distance, probably 1-2 miles or so from it. After staying in position for 30 min, everybody was surprised to see a Royal Carribean ship- I think Cerenade of the Seas positioned herself as twice as close to the glacier that we. After that our captain move our ship also a little closer. I bet if not those RC ship, we would stick in our remote position for the whole duration.
Otherwice cruise was good. Food is average cruise fare and staff is friendly. But I did not travel 3000 miles by air to Seattle just to be on a ship for that long. For that purpose I can just get on Caribbean cruise from port that is just 20 min drive from me.
My opinion - if you have choise - do not buy NCL Dream or compatible old ships. Or bypass NCL if you a not a big fun of "freestyle cruising".
And final note about Alaska - it is beautiful. But prepare to allocate a lot of money for shore excurtions. And I mean a lot. Maybe up to 50% of you cruise cost. Otherwise you will not experience what Alaska has to offer.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

A very well written summary of your experience. No ranting or raving, the good along with the bad.
Last fall we lost 3 days and three ports on a 14 day Celebrity sailing. Now mind you we actually lost 3 days entirely, but ironically one of the ports skipped was Sitka.
Celebrity refunded either 25% of the current cruise fair plus $250 per cabin onboard credit or 25% of future cruise + $250 PER PERSON onboard credit.
You did get a full 7 days of cruising but lost a valued port. I would think a refund of port charges and either a small onboard credit or credit to a future cruise would be appropriate.
Be persistent, but not abrasive in your persuit of appropriate compensation. Be specific in what you are looking for and I think you will eventually see results.
DO NOT SAY YOU WILL NEVER SAIL NCL AGAIN. Once you do that, there is no point in keeping you a satisfied customer.
I hope you receive the compensation you seek.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
BMK

We were in Seattle on the 11th and watched you guys pull into port around 2:00pm. Boy, did NCL get a lot of news coverage that night and many disgruntled passengers got to voice their dissatisfaction. I truley hope you get some compensation!!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Frank Black

We went to Hubbard Glacier on the Radiance of the Seas on their July 30th cruise. It was a bit wet and cold, but our Captain got us so close it felt like you could touch the ice. Check out this photo

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Ladystella

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Nightmare

That is the most amazing photo. You're right, it does feel like you could reach out and touch the ice! Fantastic! Thanks for posting.
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Admiral

I showed the picture to my husband last night and he couldn't believe it. He is soooo excited to see this in person!! Glad you posted it.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302