Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Passenger

Default Karen, have u received any e-mails from dawnskers?

Hey Karen,
I have sent a couple to you, but maybe they are being filtered out by your security settings? I am trying to figure logistics for the land touring part of my trip in August, and could really use your help. I have no idea about driving distances, etc; and don't want to be cutting things too close getting from place to place. These are the things I'd like to see and do- am I cramming too much into too short of a time?
Go from Whittier to Seward and take the Kenai Fjords cruise
Travel by train from Seward to Anchorage
Rent a car and spend 2 nights in Denali
return car at airport and fly home
How much time do I allow to do this? Island Princess arrives in Whittier on Monday am, August 28. Can I accomplish these things and fly home by Friday, Sept. 1st? If not, what should I eliminate?
Thanks again for all your excellent advice- I'd be just doing a pkg tour without you, fo sure!
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Admiral

I am way behind on my emails, and haven't checked for specific addresses. Please resend anyway.

Yes your plan is doable. But a couple suggestions- consider an overnight flight home Friday- then you have that day for touring perhaps.

I would arrange cab service with PJ's out of Seward for your Whittier/Seward transfer. You should be able to make the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat trip and if necessary, be on the train to Anchorage, leaving at 6pm. Alaska Heritage tours will store your bags and drop off at the depot in time for the train departure. Ideally, it would be best to spend the night.

From Anchorage to Denali Park, allow 6 hours with stops, but best would be to make it a day trip with a stop in Talkeetna for lunch, flightseeing and other interests. Definately 2 nights in the Denali Park area.

So if you are looking at 4 nights with that full Friday that I suggest, then what would work- 1 night Seward, 1 night Anchorage, 2 nights Denali Park. Allow a 1 1/2- 2 hour window at the Anchorage Airport, can be very congested.
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Default THANK U!

I feel like I have my very own, personal advocate in Alaska... you are the best! Thanks for the timeline help- I can go ahead and book my airline tickets now... I have sent an e-mail to PJ's asking about fare from Whittier to Seward, but no word from them yet... Will keep u posted. Thanks again, Karen!