Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Default Motion Sickness

We will be taking our first cruise (to Alaska). My sister-in-law is extremely vulnerable to motion sickness and is concerned about what cabin area she should get to miimize the effects of motion sickness. She is leaning toward a higher deck in the balcony section as she believes this will do the trick. As a former navy seaman I believe she would do best to try to stay lower and towards the middle of the ship to minimize motion. Please offer thoughts based on experiences with these size liners. We will be on the Coral Princess.
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Lower and midships is the best option. The higher you go on the ship, the more pronounced the motion is. The same is true for fore and aft., the closer to the bow or stern, the more affected by motion. My wife is prone to seasickness but uses the patch and has no problem.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005
Eastern Caribbean Holland America Zaandam 2006
Alaska Diamond Princess 2007
Western Caribbean 2008
Southern Caribbean 2008
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Absolutely LOWER and mid. But I strongly suggest she consult her health care professional and get PRECAUTIONS. I've seen plenty of sick passengers on cruise ships, including sailing Alaska. Since she already has the history, it won't matter what room she's in- most likely will have problems anywhere, especially with a side viewing balcony.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Default Motion sickness

As an expert at motion sickness - even on elevators I got nauseated....we were on the Infintiy mid-ship 8th deck with a balcony. Our trip was 12 days and the first two days were bad, after that I guess my body acclimated to the sea and I was fine. Pills and patches make me feel hungover and just not right, so I avoid them at all costs. The first night I left the dinner table feeling pretty bad, went to the room and slept, soon after my husband came with a remedy from our waiters - peeled and sliced green apples chunks and fresh sliced ginger, with directions for me to eat it as it will make me feel better...also saltine crackers...The next day was all dday at sea nad was a bit choppy - so I stayed in bed sleeeping most ofthe day. The third day I was better but had difficulty going to the theater and night clubs which were on the 3rd and 4th decks as I became woozy the lower I went. By the 3rd day I was just fine and went on my excursions and ate dinner every night without a problem. We spent a lot of time on the balcony - fresh air was geat for me and the views fantastic. I carried the pills and patches with me but never used them. My Dr also reccommended antihistamines for motion sickness, I also read that ginger pills help. I brought them with me but never took one. When I feel bad and am on a ship,I drink ginger ale and eat a few slices of fresh fruit and I feel better. Although I was not feeling too good the first few days, I am glad I was able to enjoy the trip without any medication.

Good luck, enjoy your trip and try not to worry about it...This was my third trip and I am getting better and better at not getting so sick. The first cruise was bad, and I even had pills and patches...2nd time, two bad days of nausea no pills, no patches, - this time wasn't so bad at all.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too am prone to motion sickness - cars, planes, and ships. My physician prescribed Bonine (Meclazine) and it works for me. We also book a stateroom mid-ship. We encountered 14 foot swells the first day at sea on our Alaskan cruise last September. I didn't feel the least bit queasy, but my husband did. I took Bonine; he didn't. Have your sister-in-law check with her doctor about what would work best for her and enjoy the cruise.
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Does Bonine make you tired/sleepy?
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't feel the least bit drowsy, but people respond differently to medication. My husband uses the "patch" behind his ear the first few days of the cruise. I tried the patch before and it made me feel disoriented.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Passenger

I too get motion sick. Never took anything while on board. Felt it a little when aft or foreward but other than that never had any problem when on the AK cruise (now Virgin Island Cruise in January!!! yes then you better take something). I did take 2 Dramamine non-drowsy when I got on the helicopter & the float plane because I wasn't sure & didn't want to ruin my trip. Worked great (took 1 hr before) & never got drowsy - mellow but not drowsy (maybe the mellow was just the serene beautiful scenery however.

Mark&Deb
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Default Bonine is a godsend, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickym
Does Bonine make you tired/sleepy?
I've used Bonine for years- it is available OTC and it works great! You just have to take it ahead of time; once you start feeling seasick, it will NOT work for you. No problem with drowsiness in my experience- my folks used to drug me with Dramamine as a kid, and I would sleep the whole trip! (Which ain't so bad with a whiny kid, but I don't want to miss anything NOW)
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Passenger

We did a 3 day land tour and a 7 day southbound cruise. First time cruiser.
I used the patch the entire trip. After getting the patch and reading all the warnings I was concerned and went back and spoke to the pharmacist.
Besides the first day being extremely thirsty, the patch worked wonders.
I would have never survived all the buses and train rides before ever getting to the ship!
The first day at sea on Sunday was the only day I really felt the rocking and rolling, but never felt it in my stomach. The rest of the trip land was always in sight.
Our last day coming thru the straits in Canada our ship made a 10 degree list! I was on the high end. But it didn't bother me and I wasn't scared, I think the patch had me mellowed out.
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Bonine works best and does not make you tired. Another little tip is to start taking it a day before your trip not on the same day (which is why I believe so many people get sick the first day or two).