Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default May 14 ISLAND PRINCESS -- WEATHER/ACTIVITIES IN EARLY MAY

WE ARE BOOKED ON THE ISLAND FOR THE FIRST TRIP NORTH MAY 14TH.

WHAT HAVE OTHERS FOUND THE WEATHER TO BE THAT EARLY IN THE SEASON?

IS GLACIER BAY OPEN?

WHAT ABOUT SHORE TRIPS OR LAND PORTIONS. WHAT IS GOOD THAT EARLY. WE WERE THINKING OF GOING TO THE KENAI AREA BUT WILL IT BE TOO COLD?

WILL WE BE TENDERING ON ANY OF THE PORTS?
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Default Kenai

Don't know about the Kenai weather, but I would bundle up and do it anyway. beautiful area, lots of wildlife.. I'd highly recommend a kenai cruise and Kayak trip. Also, take the train from Seward to Anchorage. Again, beautiful scenery and wildlife to see. I'm a minority on this board, but if money is an issue, I'd skip the skagway train trip and let the Seward to Anchorage train suffice. --just my opinion.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

You're on the first sailing I'd go on - the late-April and early-May sailings generally get cold weather, but by the 15th or so things warm up rapidly. Definitely go to the Kenai if you have the time beautiful, with lots to see and do. With over 90 excursions in Skagway alone, there's something for every taste in all of the ports - what's best for me may not be for you. Glacier Bay doesn't close.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

We can hardly wait. Thank you for your comments.... Any recomendations on what to do in the Kenai area?
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Kenai

Our travel agent just told us that the Princess lodge was not open until late May at the earliest. Any thoughts on what the conditions will be or what other accomadations maybe available?
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Kenai

rtlk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our travel agent just told us that the Princess lodge was not open until late May at the earliest. Any thoughts on what the conditions will be or what other accomadations maybe available?
I suspect that your travel agent is misinformed, as all Princess cruisetours use the Princess lodges.

That said, I really don't recommend cruisetours in Alaska unless you are going beyond Fairbanks (either Prudhoe Bay or Dawson City, YT), as the land tour portion is very expensive. You can do much better by renting a car and touring on your own. The roads between the major destinations -- Seward, Whittier, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, and Fairbanks -- are in excellent condition. I do recommend reserving your lodging in advance, though. The summer is peak season, so lodging can be quite full.

If you are touring on your own, most cruise lines will sell you their transfers between Anchorage and either Seward or Whittier. If they give you grief about this, just book a hotel package in Anchorage, which includes the transfer, through your cruise line.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Admiral

The Princess lodges open mid May. But they would not be my priority for interior Alaska touring. There is a wide variety of accommendations. Many more personal than Princess lodges. Also the Island Princess goes to Whittier NOT Seward. So you need to arrange transportation between the two, if you want Seward.

I have gone mid May several times, including another trip this year. Overall, very nice time weather wise. ANYTIME you go you need a wide range of attire, be prepared. Glaicer Bay does not close.

Most all tours will be running. Again, be prepared in your attire, then it won't matter what the weather is.
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Old April 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

When folks ask me when to cruise to Alaska (I live in Juneau) I will always tell them to come in May if they are interested in the prettiest scenery. With our record snowfall this year the mountains will have a beautiful layer of snowpack. We will still have snow on the hiking trails around here in May. It is slowly melting (47 degrees today) By mid May temps could be in the high 60's or low 50's during the day. The last few years we have had some of our best weather in May. Hope that U do 2.
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

THANK YOU TO ALL FOR ALL YOUR INPUT

WE CAN HARDLY WAIT