Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Default Yukon Scenic Drive

Has anyone taken Carnival's Skagway excursion, Yukon Scenic Drive?

My husband & I are booked for this, and I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken this trip. What will we see, and are there plenty of photo opportunities?

Thanks,
MountainGal
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a Princess cruise that included Skagway. We took the bus up, train back trip offered by Princess, and the railroad, so I am assuming Carnival also offers it. It is a bus trip to Carcross, Yukon and a little beyond then a return to Fraser where you board the train to return to Skagway. It is a very worthwhile trip. You get to see both sides of the canyon since the highway and the tracks are on opposite sides. There are a lot of stops on the bus portion for photos, but none on the rail route. However the train moves slowly and if you go out on the platform (crowded) you can snap a few. I would say that for a first visit to Skagway, this trip is a must.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Oh to answer the question what will you see; Incredible vistas, mountain goats along the mountain slopes, huge lakes, incredible vistas, waterfalls, micro-desert, historic mine structures, incredible vistas, sled dogs going bananas over the anticipation of pulling a sled(wheeled), very good displays of stuffed wildlife if you go to the barbeque lunch/museum thing, incredible vistas, a visit to Carcross (mildly interesting, seems most peeps were mostly interested in getting an ice cream cone). Oh and did I mention incredible vistas? Can't begin to express it in words.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

With a name like mountaingal, you'll love that excursion! You can see what to expect on my guide to the route at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/...e-photos1.html

Murray
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Murray,
I originally had the train and bus tour scheduled but changed it to the 3 hr train. We are only in port till 4. Do you think we should do the longer combo? What are your thoughts? Thanks
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese_duval
Murray,
I originally had the train and bus tour scheduled but changed it to the 3 hr train. We are only in port till 4. Do you think we should do the longer combo? What are your thoughts? Thanks
I'm a big fan of the combos for most people on their first trip here, because of the greatly-increased variety of terrain you see. The train goes an extra 7 miles beyond the Summit where the 3-hour round trips stop, to Fraser to meet the buses. You can see what that gains you at http://www.railsnorth.com/steamex.html.

Murray
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Passenger

WOW!! That's all I can say to your photos Murray!