Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska with a 8 yr. old

Going on a back to back (RT Vancouver) with my wife and son (he is 8) would like some suggestions for him in ports. In Juneau were going with Capt. Larry's and in Skagway were doing the White Pass RR. Need some ideas for Haines, Seward and something else in Juneau. This is my third trip to Alaska and would like to kayak with him but not to sure about it. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

In Seward my top choice is a Kenai Fjords boat trip. But plenty else to consider, Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs, Alaska Sealife Center etc. www.seward.com

Kayaking is excellent out of Ketchikan, but available in several cities, schedule where you have the most time.

Lastly, INVOLVE your son in the tour decisions.
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

One of the highlights of my cruising summer last year was helping my 4 y/o catch a 30# King salmon and teaching my 7 y/o daughter that the "icky slimy halibut" wouldn't hurt her. Kids love to fish (depending on the specific kid, of course!)

I don't see any problem with a kayak excursion. Any port where it fits your schedule will be good.

Like Karen said, involve the kids in their touring choices and planning.

Also, be sure to let any boat operator know if you'll need a life jacket ahead of time. USCG regulation requires anyone 12 and under to wear one when they're on or near the water. Some tour boats have tall rails to get around this requirement on the boat, but I've watched too many families get tickets because the kids weren't wearing a life jacket on the dock while boarding or disembarking the tour boat!

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Case,

Thank you for all the suggestions and posts. I'm taking my 15 year old on a northbound cruise. Our schedule will let us spend a day in either Kenai Fjords or Anchorage (we are definitely going to Denali). My question is: after the cruise, will Kenai Fjords be too much like places on the cruise? Which would you choose?
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenish
Case,

Thank you for all the suggestions and posts. I'm taking my 15 year old on a northbound cruise. Our schedule will let us spend a day in either Kenai Fjords or Anchorage (we are definitely going to Denali). My question is: after the cruise, will Kenai Fjords be too much like places on the cruise? Which would you choose?
Take this with a "grain of salt"... I grew up on small and medium sized boats around SouthEast, so that's always my preference. I don't think anyone can EVER "get enough"... If it were MY family, we'd certainly do the Kenai Fjords tours if Anchorage were my other option. Each area of the State is so different from the other... you'll certainly notice similarities, but I really feel they're vastly different tours.

Enjoy!
-Case
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenish
Case,

In my opinion and touring preferences, Kenai fjords is ALWAYS on my priority list and in no way similar to what you see on your cruise. For varied marine wildlife and close up glacier viewing, it's a top choice.