Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Beginner

Default Princess vs Royal Caribbean

I have never been on a cruise and I have booked a 11 night cruisetour going southbound from Whittier on the Coral Princess for late May 2009. The land tour is C4 (Direct to the Wilderness). I am extremely happy with the land and cruise stops for this tour. The issue is my Aunt is a very experienced cruiser and she keeps telling me that I should book with Royal Caribbean. I have heard great things about the Princess route through College Fjord and Glacier Bay and I know the RC route does not go through those places. Also I am unable to find a similar land tour to the one I booked on RC.

I would greatly appreciate some other opinions to help this rookie!
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

>> I am extremely happy with the land and cruise stops for this tour.<<

There's your answer. While I really enjoy RCI and the Radiance of the Seas in particular, MANY people prefer Princess for Alaska. I'm positive that you (and your aunt) won't be disappointed - even for an RCI fan, the combination of College Fjord and Glacier Bay is pretty hard to beat.

Murray
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

I am a big RCCL person but I chose Princess for our Alaskan cruise because I liked the itinerary and wanted to leave and arrive from Vancouver B.C. It was well worth the time and money and was a great experience.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Beginner

Thank you for your response!
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm also trying Princess in Alaska this summer, I know they've had great tours in Alaska forever. I honestly don't think you'll be sorry. Please let us know how you liked it when you return.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Princess vs Royal Caribbean

rlwhite,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have never been on a cruise and I have booked a 11 night cruisetour going southbound from Whittier on the Coral Princess for late May 2009. The land tour is C4 (Direct to the Wilderness). I am extremely happy with the land and cruise stops for this tour. The issue is my Aunt is a very experienced cruiser and she keeps telling me that I should book with Royal Caribbean. I have heard great things about the Princess route through College Fjord and Glacier Bay and I know the RC route does not go through those places. Also I am unable to find a similar land tour to the one I booked on RC.

I would greatly appreciate some other opinions to help this rookie!
All of the major cruise lines have very similar offerings. The seven night "Gulf of Alaska" cruises, which connect with land tours of the interior, are pretty standard, calling at three of the four major ports of call along the "Inside Passage" (Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan) and perhaps a minor port of call (Hoonah, AKA "Icy Strait Point," Prince Rupert, etc.), and they visit to one or two glacier areas. The most significant difference between one cruise line and another is the style and personality of each line, even in Alaska. Practical realities being what they are, would you rather be on Royal Caribbean with an aunt who is very happy or on Princess with an aunt who is complaining at every turn that you are not on Royal Caribbean?

As to the land tour, I find the cruise line's land tour packages to be very expensive. Alaska being part of the United States, you probably will do just as well to rent a car for an independent land tour and visit the interior on your own. You can use the cruise-tour itineraries to get some idea of which attractions may be worth visiting. I do strongly recommend reserving your lodging in advance, especially in more remote areas like Talkeetna and Denali, as the summer is the peak tourist season when the limited facilities in these areas may well be full.

Norm.