Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default anchorage hotel?

We will be flying into Anchorage the day before we cruise - so I guess getting transfers will not work, huh? Where do we stay? The airplane goes to Wittier? We stay in Whittier? I have no clue as to where we are even going...lol. But.....am flying in a day ahead to make ure we don't miss the ship!!
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

You fly into Anchorage and take a bus, car, train, etc to Whittier the day of the cruise. You can take the cruise shuttle or go independent.
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: anchorage hotel?

cherylroy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We will be flying into Anchorage the day before we cruise - so I guess getting transfers will not work, huh? Where do we stay? The airplane goes to Wittier? We stay in Whittier? I have no clue as to where we are even going...lol. But.....am flying in a day ahead to make ure we don't miss the ship!!
If you book a "pre-cruise" hotel package through your cruise line, the package will include a motorcoach transfer from your hotel to the pier on embarkation day. If not, you can purchase the transfer separately through your cruise line.

If you buy the transfer alone, the transfer probably will operate from the Egan Center right downtown. Most of the cruise lines operate a hospitality room at the Egan Center on turnaround day.

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Thanks. I"ll call my TA and ask her about this! Sure would be a lot easier! Thanks
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
First Mate

This reply might be late, but you can still get transfers from Carnival to the boat. Take the train if you can. (book through Carnival) We stayed at Days Inn in Anchorage and it was within walking distance to almost everything. We were about 4 blocks from where Carnival picks you up for the boat, and about 2 blocks from the train station. Taxi's were easy to get. Days Inn also has a free shuttle to/from the airport. Be sure to ask for an inside room with an A/C unit. It is not a 5 star, but worked great for us.

Have a great trip,
Kathy
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Nope - not to late!!! Thanks for the info!!! I sure will ask about the train. We go may 09 -- I'm just ahead of myself, but like to book early!
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to richluv4u
Default Hotels in Anchorage

Just want to let you know that last year we did the same cruise and you can actually go on line to Hotwire.com and if you pick the downtown area you will get (Extended Stay) for $40.00 on line is $80.00 if you go directly to company. This was a very nice hotel with two double beds and was close to walking down town. Hotwire seems to have the market for this hotel. The only reason I'm saying that is I just booked again for Seattle and go the same hotel. Will be going back to alaska on July 6th. Hope this helps.
Hi Im a 43yr old Female looking for last minute cruise For June 6th to the 14th. Haven't booked anything yet. Wanted to find cabin mate first to share cost. Would prefer female, but would consider a male.

Have been on two cruise prior and my last one was to Alaska this time last year in May. If your intersted please let me A.S.A.P
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

The train offers you the option to make the most of your day and take a Prince William Sound boat tour. But you also most certainly CAN take the cruise transfers, no matter WHEN you get to Anchorage. You will be told of the meeting point for pick up, either the airport or Egan Center.

KEY will be WHERE you are staying. I never recommend cruise hotel/tranfer packages, most always WAY overpriced since they are per person rates. For May and this early, you certainly can do better booking direct and then the transfer. There are also indpendent bus options available. listings www.anchorage.net
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We purchased the Transfer package and it was worth every bit of the price. It was so easy. Princess employees were standing as we cleared customs and took us straight to a Taxi to transport us to the hotel. We didn't have to stand around looking for someone. Princess transfered our luggage to the hotel in Vancouver--We stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel. Check in wasn't until 4:00 pm so they put it in their secure area and we toured Vancouver.
When we arrived in Whittier ( you can either take the bus Princess provides or opt for the train ride which is a little more $) and we were transported to the Egan Center downtown Anchorage. Our luggage was locked up in the Center until we were ready to go to airport. Our flight wasn't until 7:30 pm so we had a full day to explore Anchorage. Buses leave every 15 minutes from Egan Center to airport. i think the last one was 6:00 pm. Don't miss that one or you will be paying for a Taxi.
Our group had a great time at HUMPY'S which is a resturant/bar featuring all of Alaska's Brew. Quite good!!! and it is right on the little square in front of Egan Center
We went back to Egan about 5:00pm and were transferred by bus to the Airport.
The Princess Transfers (for us) is the way to go. We didn't have to touch our luggage