Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Default Do it yourself Denali

We would like to spend 3 nights at Denali after fishing the Kenai and before cruising. We want to see as much as we can, not just the short excursion. I have read posts regarding the shuttle in Denali and suggestions to plan your own visit as opposed to doing the Princess (our cruise line) tours. Could some one give me some more specific advice as to best way to get to Denali (train, bus, car), lodge suggestions, etc. I think we would like to do one of the flights over McKinley from Talkeetna...is the Summit Circle the best? Thanks in advance...we will be cruising in July 2009.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Admiral

For the most flexability a car rental will give you the most. How are you getting to the Kenai River?? You need a car.

How much time do you have. You ideally need at least 5 days, with an overnight flight out.

You may want to consider also, Seward, it's a gem not to be missed, if you can add another couple days.

As for Denali Park, you will want the shuttle bus to at least Eielson, mile 66, and ideally Wonder Lake, mile 85. However, in July, you need to make a hard decision on your "bug" tolerance at Wonder Lake. It's so significant that I no longer consider it until mid August or later. Just too much of a problem for me, impacting my enjoyment (and I've used the bug nets )

www.nps.gov/dena has the shuttle bus information.

I'm one who always prefers the McKinley summit flights, having done all the routes. It certainly is excellent.

You may want to consider one of the two purchased coupon books for savings. New ones come out in late fall.
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Admiral

For the most flexability a car rental will give you the most. How are you getting to the Kenai River?? You need a car.

How much time do you have. You ideally need at least 5 days, with an overnight flight out.

You may want to consider also, Seward, it's a gem not to be missed, if you can add another couple days.

As for Denali Park, you will want the shuttle bus to at least Eielson, mile 66, and ideally Wonder Lake, mile 85. However, in July, you need to make a hard decision on your "bug" tolerance at Wonder Lake. It's so significant that I no longer consider it until mid August or later. Just too much of a problem for me, impacting my enjoyment (and I've used the bug nets )

www.nps.gov/dena has the shuttle bus information.

I'm one who always prefers the McKinley summit flights, having done all the routes. It certainly is excellent.

You may want to consider one of the two purchased coupon books for savings. New ones come out in late fall.