Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Default Please help with Juneau plans.

Please help with Juneau plans. We want to visit the Glacier Gardens and Mendenhall Glacier and see the waterfalls. I prefer not to do a tour. Can someone tell me if this a good plan or not? Take the city bus to the gardens. I understand it stops right there. Take a taxi from there to the visitor's center. Any ideas how much for 3 of us? Take the Mendenhall shuttle (MGT) back to the ship. I think we can do that as a one-way instead of round trip. Is the walk to the falls very long? What type of ground are you walking on? One person has some issues with uneven ground.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I'll assume you have time?? Taking the city bus, requires it. You have a doable itinerary. And yes, you can do the MGT shuttle one way.

As for the walk to the waterfall, it is rough and requires some overstepping logs, rocks etc and what ever else that may have washed up. It is NOT a trail, but you would be walking along the side of the lake. Allow 30 minutes, wear shoes you don't care about and would be easily wiped off if needed.
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

I'll assume you have time?? Taking the city bus, requires it. You have a doable itinerary. And yes, you can do the MGT shuttle one way.

As for the walk to the waterfall, it is rough and requires some overstepping logs, rocks etc and what ever else that may have washed up. It is NOT a trail, but you would be walking along the side of the lake. Allow 30 minutes, wear shoes you don't care about and would be easily wiped off if needed.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Beginner

Just got back from Alaska a few days ago. I traveled with extended family. My brother-in-law and his family took the city bus (very cheap - I think $2 per person) to Mendenhall Glacier, but it dropped them off almost 2 miles from it and they had to walk the rest of the way in a steady rain. We took a shuttle that we saw on the pier - $7 each way per person - this was worth it on a rainy day, because it dropped us off very close to the visitor center. And, the shuttle bus driver told us stories the whole way there (and back). My suggestion - if it's a nice day and you want to walk, take the city bus, but if it's raining, go for the shuttle.

The visitor center has a fee of $3 per person which includes an observation deck, movie, etc. However, they allow you into the gift shop and the restrooms for free. We didn't want to stay that long and watch a movie, so we just used the restrooms and took the shuttle back to town.

There's the Mt. Roberts Tram in town - we would have done it if we had a nice day. It was the same price if you bought your ticket from the ship or onsite ($25) - I'm really glad we didn't buy thru the ship because it was such a bad weather day. If you are interested in the tram and you get good weather, it's better to buy tickets the day you are there.

Have a great time!
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Catch the shuttle at the pier - $14 roundtrip. The city bus leaves you 1.25 miles from the glacier - but that is quite a walk.

Glacier Gardens is a separate trip - you will probably need a taxi unless the cruise line offers it. I would bet there is a combination ship tour to both available.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Paul may be correct, but I thought the walk from the city bus was more like two miles.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
Paul may be correct, but I thought the walk from the city bus was more like two miles.
No, to the visitor center, it's a little over a level mile.

If anyone does take the city bus, which actually gives you a great look at some local, non touristy life, be sure to have the schedules. In the past this bus ran once/hour. You don't want to waste time, waiting for another bus, because you just missed one.
IF Glacier Garden's is a priority with Mendenhall Glacier. An option, to transit I suggest, would be to shuttle one way to Mendenhall Glacier, THEN take a cab to the gardens, maybe $10-15- (only a rough guess???) Contact a cab company for details. Then take the city bus to return to downtown. This doesn't have the walking or time involved taking the city bus only, but does offer a savings over just using costly cabs.