Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Beginner

Default Tour company for Yukon trip from Skagway?????????

KKanji posted on June 19, 2008 the following:

In th elonget trip you get to go (after the Summit) to Carcross and Emerald lake. The complete return trip by rail and then Bus is only $174.5 Cost: $174.30 Adult $114.45 Child (12 & Under)
Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included
Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit /Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

This looks very interesting. Does anyone know which tour company offer this tour so that I can book direct with them?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

It's Chilkoot Tours - http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tour company for Yukon trip from Skagway?????????

Nathan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

In th elonget trip you get to go (after the Summit) to Carcross and Emerald lake. The complete return trip by rail and then Bus is only $174.5 Cost: $174.30 Adult $114.45 Child (12 & Under)
Lunch: Caribou Crossing Trading Post/Yukon Wildlife Museum/Husky Puppy Camp/Lunch Included
Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit /Fraser by train - 1 3/4 hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

This looks very interesting. Does anyone know which tour company offer this tour so that I can book direct with them?

Thanks for your help.
I would seriously recommend booking this tour as a shore excursion, as it's a "full day" trip that's going a considerable distance from the port of call. If the ship's shore excursion gets delayed by traffic or weather, the ship will either wait for it or make alternative arrangements to get those on the excursion back aboard. If a private tour gets delayed in the same way, you get to pay your own transportation (in Alaska, that means air fare) to the next port of call and your own accommodations and meals until you rejoin the ship. The difference is not worth the risk.

Norm.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

>>If the ship's shore excursion gets delayed by traffic or weather, the ship will either wait for it or make alternative arrangements to get those on the excursion back aboard. If a private tour gets delayed in the same way, you get to pay your own transportation (in Alaska, that means air fare) to the next port of call and your own accommodations and meals until you rejoin the ship. The difference is not worth the risk. <<

That's the scare tactic that the ships use to gouge you on their tours. The independent operators live from cruise traffic, and are never late. Norm, if you're ever heard of it happening here, please let me know, because I worked in the industry for 18 years and never did. And if you haven't heard of it actually happening, quit posting nonsense. Independent excursions save you a bit of money and give you a much better experience because of their smaller group size - we only book through the ship if there's no choice (some excursions aren't offered by any independents). I do know of people missing their ship in Alaska because they were shopping, though!

Murray
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tour company for Yukon trip from Skagway?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Nathan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Thanks for your help.
I would seriously recommend booking this tour as a shore excursion, as it's a "full day" trip that's going a considerable distance from the port of call. If the ship's shore excursion gets delayed by traffic or weather, the ship will either wait for it or make alternative arrangements to get those on the excursion back aboard. If a private tour gets delayed in the same way, you get to pay your own transportation (in Alaska, that means air fare) to the next port of call and your own accommodations and meals until you rejoin the ship. The difference is not worth the risk.

Norm.
I too am going to say, this is completely unfounded and inaccurate. Chilkoot tours has been in business for years getting consistant rave reviews. They don't have customers their missing ships.
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Beginner

We used Chilkoot in June of this year for that exact trip and it was great! THere was no chance of missing the boat becasue we got back at like 3 and the boat didn't leave till like 10.

If you have the time, they are great!

Nic
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the advise

Thanks for the input. Appreciate the help. I believe the odds of missing the ship is next to nil since the trip returns to Skagwayat about 4:30 and the boat does not leave until 10:00. Lots of time for errors or unforseens.

Nathan /Toronto
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Admiral

I booked this tour through Princess, but others on the cruise used Chilkoot and gave it rave reviews. It is a great tour-not to be missed.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82