Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Default Alaskan virgin - know lots of the caribbean but....help me!

Hi y'all,

Am looking for an alaskan cruise from Seattle in mid/late August with my hubby and teen son.

Want a balcony and of course money is tight. I appreciate any cruise lines, which alaskan cruise (north, south, etc) and any advice you may give me.

Thanks much, Mary

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We have done Glacier Bay - this time going southern from anchorage to Vancouver - Carnival of course. If budget is tight - you don't want alaska! Expensive! But ohhhhhhhhhh well worth it! Best of luck in your search
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaskan virgin - know lots of the caribbean but....help

Mary,

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_cloud
Hi y'all,

Am looking for an alaskan cruise from Seattle in mid/late August with my hubby and teen son.

Want a balcony and of course money is tight. I appreciate any cruise lines, which alaskan cruise (north, south, etc) and any advice you may give me.
See my reply to the OP in this thread.

Cruises to Alaska that depart from Seattle are constrained by the U. S. Passenger Services Act -- they can either (1) return to Seattle if they stop at a Canadian port en route or (2) end at a Canadian port. Unfortunately, this means that you can't get to Anchorage or to any of Alaska's interior on these cruises -- and Anchorage and the interior really do have much to offer. If it comes down to a choice, I would prefer to book an inside (!) cabin and use the savings to add on a couple days in Anchorage before or after the cruise, as there are plenty of public lounges on the ship with lots of big windows where you can watch the scenery and the best viewing of marine wildlife is from the promenades, which are below the balconies. Note, however, that this connecting to Anchorage and the interior would require departing from (or returning to) Vancouver rather than Seattle.

Beyond that, I'm going to give the same advice that I gave in another thread -- get a cruise guidebook at your local bookstore, read the descriptions of the various lines, and go with the line whose style and personality are the best match for your family.

Norm.