Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005
Default Need help choosing Alaskan cruise

Shock of the year: my husband suggested an Alaskan cruise. I so want to go, but I didn't think he'd want to go at the present time. Anyways, due to time constraints, we will probably be going at the end of July/beginning of August. We can probably only do seven days. Money is a non-issue. We are in our mid-twenties with no kids. With all that being said, we need help choosing the following:
- the best ports
- route
- one-way vs. round trip
- cruiseline

I left cruiseline last because I've seen on here that for Alaskan cruises, cruiseline ought to be chosen last. We are Royal Caribbean vets. I've heard Princess is good, but I want to avoid an older crowd. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Captain

Default Re: Need help choosing Alaskan cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Shock of the year: my husband suggested an Alaskan cruise. I so want to go, but I didn't think he'd want to go at the present time. Anyways, due to time constraints, we will probably be going at the end of July/beginning of August. We can probably only do seven days. Money is a non-issue. We are in our mid-twenties with no kids. With all that being said, we need help choosing the following:
- the best ports
- route
- one-way vs. round trip
- cruiseline

I left cruiseline last because I've seen on here that for Alaskan cruises, cruiseline ought to be chosen last. We are Royal Caribbean vets. I've heard Princess is good, but I want to avoid an older crowd. Any suggestions?
Hi Sassy2005,

I would recommend a one way cruise to Alaska. I would take a cruise that starts or ends in Vancouver as you will tend to see more of Alaska than a rt out of Seattle. Princess is now my favorite cruise line and they are allowed to enter Glacier Bay National Park, which is the highlight of any Alaskan cruise. On Princess and on several cruise lines they also offer a second day of glacier cruising in College Fjord.

I think you will find the average passenger age to be a little older on an Alaskan cruise than say on a Caribbean cruise, but some of us "oldsters" still know how to have a good time!

My favorite ports in Alaska are Skagway and Ketchkan.

Alaska is just a fantastic place to visit and I think you will have a great time. Enjoy!

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

My wife and I took 4 Alaska cruises in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Sitka is by far my favorite port - the marine wildlife excursions available there are incredible. Next in line is Hoonah (Icy Strait Point), with the others far behind. Given your time constraints, I'd usually recommend doing a Vancouver return, but with money a non-issue, go one-way northbound and fly home from Anchorage - one-ways simply have better routing. Three of our cruises have been with RCI (2 on the Radiance) and 1 with HAL - the Radiance is my favorite, my wife liked HAL a bit better. The itineraries for the Serenade and Rhapsody this year are poor, with Tracy Arm the only possible glacier viewing (most ships barely get within sight of the Sawyer Glacier. You can see lengthy photojournals of our cruises and excursions at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/

Murray
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Admiral

I think HAL offers some excellent round trip Vancouver sailings, loaded with scenic sailing.

With a one way, I still would definately try and add at least a few extra days so to enjoy Seward, well worth the effort. Take advantage of being there.

I suggest you head to your library and find out what each port has to offer, there are only 6 Alaska ports on the Inside Passage. Alaska By Cruiseship is a good resource. In your selection look at the ports of your priority, time in ports, route, ship naturalist, then ship that fits. Budget fully for costly excursions, you get half a trip without them in my opinion.
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm not so worried about being arond older people as I am OLD people. A couple we met on a previous cuise said that the averag age on one of their cruises was 80-something. If the majority is over 80, we have issues I'll look into that Alaska by Cruise book. I am way excited about this. We have done two caribbean cruises, but Alaska is a totally different animal! I never even thought about visitng Alaska until I got into cruising and saw the beautiful pictures! It does seem as though we will have to venture away from RCI to either HAL or Princess. They seem to have the market on Alaskan cruises We will most definately be doing excursions!

Old February 24th, 2009, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Karen makes a great point about reading up on ports of call. I totally agree.

Pardon me for getting on the 'OLD' person kick, but...can't we all agree that there are generations of all degrees which can share a ship and still actually enjoy the different venues provided? Can't we all just get along?

Maybe it's just me.

Waiting for my bashing..........

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8

Pardon me for getting on the 'OLD' person kick, but...can't we all agree that there are generations of all degrees which can share a ship and still actually enjoy the different venues provided? Can't we all just get along?

Maybe it's just me.

You're hardly "old" at 44. I don't mind being around people older than me, but I would like for there to be some people my age on board.

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have only sailed Carnival..You said you wanted to avoid the older crowds .. Carnival does an excellent job in Alaska...The NB and SB sailings are great..Your port time in Juneau allows you to do alot even a small boat cruise though Tracey Arm right up to the face of Sawter Glacier..If money is not an issue go for a suite or even and aft wrap around balcony..They are the best!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthew8

Maybe it's just me.

You're hardly "old" at 44. I don't mind being around people older than me, but I would like for there to be some people my age on board.
My husband and I are in our late 40's and that seemed to be the average age on board the Spirit..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain