Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Default FISHING

CAN ANYONE RECOMEND ANY CHARTERS IN SKAGWAY, OR JUNEAU FOR HALIBUT FISHING.
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Skagway is good for salmon but not halibut. In Juneau, Hitime is one of the top-rated charters - http://www.hitime.com/Halibut/Halibut.htm
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi-Time, Three Eagle or Lost in Alaska are the only halibut charters I would go aboard in Juneau. Hi-Time is one of the most successful boats here, Three Eagle one of the safest, and Lost in Alaska one of the most fun personalities to go fishing with...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes...

I have a GREAT recommendation in Juneau.

Here is the info:

Sports Fishing: Hundreds of independent fishing boats are available for charter. Full day trips usually include lunch, snacks, water and drinks. The catch includes king salmon, usually 20-70 pounds but as much as 100, or silver salmon ranging from seven to 20 pounds. Halibut can run up to 800 pounds but good luck landing that. The record halibut catch for most boats in just over 220 pounds. Naturally, there are limits on what you can keep.

While we were in Juneau we stayed in a beautiful guesthouse overlooking Auke bay called Hillside Haven which is owned by Theresa Abbas. Not only did it have cable TV, free hi-speed Internet, a spacious bedroom with a king-size bed and a full kitchen, it also had the most alluring bathtub ever invented (with steam, whirlpool, side jets and even music).

Theresa's husband runs a full-service sport fishing company called Devilfish Charters and a stay in this guesthouse combined with chartering his boat would be the perfect Alaska holiday in our opinion -- DevilFish Charters.

http://www.hillsidehavenjuneau.com/
http://www.devilfishcharters.com/

I can't imagine a better fisherman's holiday than staying in this beautiful, private guesthouse and spending my days on this boat. Even if you don't fish, the bay is calm (no seasickness) and the chance that you will see humpback whales or orca is very good. You are responsible for getting your fish home but Devilfish will help you get it processed (smoked or fresh-packed) for delivery.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Paul-

Do you happen to know the USCG 5-Star safety rating for this boat? I can't get an answer via eMail or local telephone. The waters out on the halibut grounds can be rough by all local standards - this IS offshore coastal boating. I always recommend people check up on the boat they're going out on.

Also, even in the heyday of charter boat registration (2005) there were no where NEAR 100 charters registered and operating in Juneau. With the commercial fishing interests squeezing charters out of business and the economy as it is, a full half (or more) of the "fleet" is already confirmed as not working or closed for the year. At best, visitors to Juneau will find a "small handful" of available charters this summer. Of those, only 2 or 3 are of great quality with outstanding safety records, good personalities, etc.

Oh, and if anyone happens to see MY boat out on the water, you'll recognize me because I'll be the one fishing near all the charter boats but keeping twice the limits the tourists are allowed. Why do I get more of the commonly owned "public resource"? Because I own my boat, and most tourists do not!

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Yes...

I have a GREAT recommendation in Juneau....
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Case... I stayed in house but I did not try the fishing so i do not know that much about it. I know they have been doing it for many years and that they had some excellent Halibut catches the summer we were there but I don't details.

Try the web site and see what they say.