Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Default Time of the Year for Alaskan Cruise

Could someone give me advice on sailing to Alaska the last weekend of May and into the first week of June? The prices of the cruises are less expensive, but would be missing out on anything?

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Cruises to Alaska aren't much different during the season.
Early cruises sometimes are better because the locals haven't gotten tired of all the tourists. Some area might be open for the ships to cruise to .Late May or early June the weather can be warm or cold or anywhere in between.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Captain

IMHO, late May is one of the best times to cruise to Alaska. The last few cruises is September tend to have the most chance for rain and cooler temperatures. The bid plus, is that there a lot of good sales available at the end of the cruising season.

I still much prefer cruising to Alaska in mid to late May.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Admiral

I cruised the last weekend in May and I loved it we saw lots of whales. However, we didn't see any bears, I was lead to believe this was because the salmon were not running. I didn't mind missing the bears, I wanted to see the whales and it was a good time of year for that. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Admiral

The fringe season, early to Mid May and after the first week of Sept, can often have significant weather drop offs, with the worse potential weather of the Alaska season, so it does make a difference in my opinion. I no longer sail these timeframes since they don't discount them like they used to .

From mid August on, you are running into more rain. Overall you need to be well prepared in your attire no matter when you go.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Default May/June is Great!

Our HAL cruise was May 31-June 7, 2009 and it was perfect weather! My friend went in 2008 about the same time and also had great weather. For our cruise it was in the mid 70s at Glacier Bay and clear. We had warm weather in every port and Juneau was very warm. The Ranger on board at Glacier Bay said they are more likely to see clear weather at the Bay in late May than any other time. I know weather in Alaska can be cold and rainy one week and great the next but you do have a good chance of great weather that May/June week--we did!

Cheryl
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Passenger

The reason why it's cheaper is b/c the weather is still "iffy" at that time of year. You may get more rain at that time of year compared to Mid-June and July. But you'll be fine. We've had great weather all summer. September is when the rain really starts coming down.

~Ketchikan resident
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Passenger

We did a 12nt cruisetour with Celebrity last year. Began on June 1st in Fairbanks, took the train to Denali then Talkeetna, then motorcoached to Anchorage then down to Seward. After 5 nts, we boarded the Millie on June 6th for the 7nt cruise. The weather was beautiful and warm most of the way down. Hit rain a couple of times but nothing bad. Got sunburned on our balcony at Hubbard Glacier, it was gorgeous!

April 26, 2009 Mariner 7nt Mex to SF - oops!
June 1, 2008 Millennium 12nt Alaska Cruisetour
April 17, 2006 Infinity 11nt Mexico
October 28, 1978 Delian Daphne 17nt Mediterrean/Black Sea

Click on WWW below to see our pix!