Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Passenger

We don't mind the room stewards cleaning up several times a day. The mints & towel animals are cute. I drink a lot of water each day, and they always fill the ice bucket several times a day, as well as my personal drink container. I thought that was a nice touch. But, we are still puzzeled about how the steward knew which bed each of us slept on. My mom & I slept on the two lower twin beds, and my sister slept on one of the fold-down bunks. One night our nightgowns were on the appropriate beds. Do they just know who sleeps in what bed?
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cabin cleaning once a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
One visit a day simply is not enough and will not be done. You need then to clean your cabin, rep[lace towels, etc in the am as well as turn down your bedding and replace towels in the PM. Not only that but it is nice when they manage to do a quick check sometime during the day and refresh your ice bucket and anything else that needs doing.
Jim
I agree with you.

Especially if there are multiple people in the cabin, if the steward only serviced it once a day, it wouldn't save him any time because he'd have a major mess to clean up during that one visit. He'd probably spend more time in the cabin straightening out the mess during that one visit than he would spend on his current two.

Besides, I too like having my bed turned down for me ... fresh towels put in the bathroom, and fresh ice added to the ice bucket. Makes the cabin seem so much more like home when I return to it after a night out and about around the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by browezilla
I'll probably get flamed for this one, but really, I don't need my room cleaned/straightened twice a day. I do just fine in hotels with once a day. Lighten the load on the cabin stewards and clean/service cabins once per day. We usually ask our cabin steward to skip a few evenings and we leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door.
No flaming required! Personal preference. We prefer the multiple visits. And when we are occupying the room, we use the DND sign. We welcome and appreciate the services our cabin stewards provide....I consider it part of our cruise experience. How often does my DH make the bed, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, etc.????
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droopy Sails
I'd be so embarrassed to have the poor steward hanging up my clothes and picking up my dirty underwear.

But it is nice to have fresh towels and turndown (okay, I really mean I want the mint!). I enjoy the second service, but try to make the stewards' lives easier by putting away my clothes and shoes, stacking my papers and books, and keeping my toiletries to one area of the counter. Makes a much nicer room to live in all day, and they can be in and out in just a minute in the evening.
I agree. We make an effort to keep the room reasonably tidy. For one thing I would rather not have the steward handling my personal items. Only once, I left a negligee out and it was draped lovely on the bed that evening. I kept it in the drawer after that....a little creepy. But we really do need ice buckets refilled and fresh towels. I would have no problem re-using them but they just don't dry hanging in the BR. Having said that, I do think the crew work very hard for long hours and we express our gratitude daily.
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Admiral

We all use our towels at home more than once (at least we do) and wash the sheets weekly or so. But that is at home.
If I'm gonna rent a hotel room for 100+ a night (3,000.00 a month?) then I want clean towels and my bed made.
When I wrap $5k around a seven day cruise...I expect ultimate services.
I won't even mention the mandatory tip.