Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Carnival Versus Princess (for a Caribbean cruise for mellow adults)
Carnival 10 58.82%
Princess 7 41.18%
Royal Caribbean 0 0%
Other (mention in post please) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default Choosing between Carnival and Princess

Hi everyone- I hope you can help me.

My dad and I (37 and 76) are planning on going on a Caribbean cruise in September- he's asked me to make the plans but I am having difficulty making a decision.

He is a first time cruiser so I really want him to have a good time. I think he'd enjoy offshore activites like swimming with stingrays and intertubing (he's in very good health), but would prefer a cruise that isn't too much of a party-boat, although I think he'd have fun regardless. We definitely want a cabin with a balcony.

I am having trouble deciding between Carnival and Princess (probably the Caribbean Princess). I've also considered Royal Caribbean, but at some point in the process I took it out of the running (can't rembember why though).

Anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if I should add any helpful details, your help is appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Give me Holland America anyday>
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I vote for Princess. Hubby and I are not party animals and have enjoyed our cruises on Princess. Also we figure that we really don't want to have the dancing/singing waiters in the dining room. We feel the waiters are there to serve you dinner not to have to entertain you, that's what the shows in the theater and lounges are for.

Yes you can party on Princess if you want.

Can't help with which line has better balconies as we've only been in insides on Princess.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
Give me Holland America anyday>
I've seen that a lot of people like HAL, but they aren't offering any Caribbean cruises in September (at least not according to their site).so at least for this trip, they aren't an option. How are they price-wise compared to other lines?
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My first choice would be the Caribbean Princess out of Miami and then the Carnival Legend out of Tampa. Both have similar, western Caribbean, itineraries. Princess does have a very nice private island; Princess Cays. I think for a first time cruiser, your dad may like the food and the overall atmosphere of the Legend but it is a bit more "upbeat". Princess is by no means dead but it is more refined and does have the "Anytime Dining" feature and a few more dining venues to chose from.

I personally feel that Carnival's food is, overall, a bit better but I am not a fan of the singing waiter shoe they have, each night, at dinner. However, many people love it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies. I think I will pursue Princess as the first choice then...

Thanks again.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

Princess is great because there is such a range of ages and something to do for everyone.