Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Beginner

Default using independent shore excursion operators

Hi

We are leaving in eight days on the Triumph.

We are considering booking excursions through Shore Trips.

Has anyone ever used them and would you recommend independent excursion companies for first time cruisers?
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

No experience with this operator. Since you said you were a first time cruiser just a reminder: If you are not on a ships tour and do not make it back at the appointed time the ship WILL leave you. Being stranded in a foreign port can become very expensive.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Captain

we never take independent shore excursion we always the ship excursion
the reason for that is if your on ship excursion and you have a promblem
and you get back late the ship will still be there but if you go on indpendant and get back late the ship will be gone
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
we never take independent shore excursion we always the ship excursion
the reason for that is if your on ship excursion and you have a promblem
and you get back late the ship will still be there but if you go on indpendant and get back late the ship will be gone
As a first time cruiser, I would definately stick with the ship's excursions to ensure that you get back to the ship in time. As an experienced cruiser, I have used some independent excursion agencies that we have enjoyed much more, and for less money, than the ones the ship endorses. You must do your homework on these and this site is a very good place to ask for referrals and feedback on particular excursions.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Passenger

Seriously? Really? I'm always shocked by this type of answer. If the person does their homework and gets recommendations from others here on the board about this or that tour operator, are they really not going to get back to the ship ontime? How often does this happen since it seems that more than half the ship does private excursions?
I'd like to hear how many private tours do not make it back on time. Not hearsay, but the real deal.

I've done quite a few excursions both with ship and on my own, mostly to beaches and such where if my ride didn't show I'd grab a cab, although my ride always showed up.

I'm going on my first two tours my upcoming cruise where I'm absolutely dependant on my tour operators, especially the catamaran. I'll report back and eat my hat if they don't get me back ontime. However, I think if you do your homework, you're good to go.

Carnival Destiny 03/30/08
RCL Enchantment 09/24/07
Carnival Liberty 02/05
Carnival Glory 01/03
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlaker
Seriously? Really? I'm always shocked by this type of answer. If the person does their homework and gets recommendations from others here on the board about this or that tour operator, are they really not going to get back to the ship ontime? How often does this happen since it seems that more than half the ship does private excursions?
I'd like to hear how many private tours do not make it back on time. Not hearsay, but the real deal.
I have done quite a few ship excursions and several private tour excursions. I have also just grabbed a taxi and went on my own many times. Done 10 cruises and haven't missed the ship yet

In all fairness, though, I have been on several cruises where passengers did miss the ship. I think that is usually due to the person either drinking too much in port, or not setting their watches with the ships time.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

While I almost always books the ship's tours myself, Shoretrips has been around a long time and has a good reputation. If they have something you want I would not hestitate to recommend them.

But as a first time cruiser, I do agree it would ne a good idea to play it safe until you get the lay of the land. Book a ship tour.

if you DO book with an outsider, even shoretours, be very clear they know what ship you are on and double check your hours in port. if going to the Western Caribbean, remember "ship time" vs "real time"