Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Beginner

Default Paying difference to join single in dbl occupancy

Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice in this case:
A friend booked 6 months ago on NCL jewel and I recently said that I was coming. He paid the single suppliment of 100% based on double occupancy at the time. The travel agent said that I must pay the difference in the price since it has gone up $159 since then. I called NCL and they said that they do not charge the difference as the room was paid for as if 2 stays in it...one must pay the insurance though. I was told by the agent that there is also insurance. It does not make sense to me and I dont know if there is any recoarse.
Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance
Pogo
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If NCL is telling you the price is the same I would call NCL and ask them if they can transfer the single supplement charge your friend paid to a booking for you.

It is true that the single supplement he paid is (most likely) exactly the same as if two people were staying in the room, including port fees and other added charges.

Insurance is NOT a mandatory charge, and especially would not be charged at twice the rate for a single traveling in a cabin alone (although almost everything else is charged like there are two people in the room).

So, if you do not want insurance I would just tell them you don't want it. You should not be required to pay for it.
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Beginner

Hi Paul et al
Thanks very much for your advice. As a matter of fact I called NCL again today and I got another agent who said that I had to pay a whole other 1700.00 as the original person paid 1600.00 as a single...I tried to tell her that I should only pay the difference and she said that the difference at this time was 1700.00! I called the other agent who originally booked the room and happily paid the difference of 159 and will pay the original person who booked 1/2 of what he paid! Whew...I took the lesser of the two evils.

Is anyone going on the Norweigian Jewel Feb 29/08?
see you there
Pogo
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I will look into this when I have time. I am just surprised you got a different story. The TRUTH is that prices do go up as ships sell out. That is why you want to book early. But I thought it would be possible to transfer the single supplement. It "should" be but sometimes policies and systems are not what you expect.