Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Casual Dress Area For the Dinning Room

My wife and I like to eat in the dinning room every night when we partake of a cruise. We enjoy the presentation and dinning experience, On some of the cruise lines -- that means one has to get dressed up, especially for the formal nights.

There are a number of reasons why I don't like to get dressed up -- especially for formal nights. First of all, a tie to me is akin to a noose. I gave up on them over 15 years ago when I was involved in the legal field. But more importantly, we sometimes stop for a Caribbean cruise following a trip to Europe. And in Europe we travel as light as we can -- which would generally preclude suits and fancy dresses. I usually drag a sports jacket and a few extra ties to Europe so I can get through the formal nights without sticking out too much. But for really light travelers who generally only travel with carryon luggage -- that is additional weight and bulk I can easily do without.

On the other hand, I know some passengers like to get dressed up, and are not appreciative of those who show up on formal night in a T-shirt and jeans.

I propose the following -- that a seating, or an area of the dining room be reserved for casual dress. T-shirts, shorts and bathing suits can still be excluded, but those of us who want to have the experience of dining in a nice sport shirt and slacks can continue to do so without offending those who are in tuxes. In that way -- those of us who want a casual dress experience won't have to miss the dinning room experience, or offend those who are dressed more formally.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Admiral

I agree with you but.....LOOK OUT!!!!!
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, as long as you are dressed neatly, you will not be denied entrance to the dining room. If you have a table for two, you will sort of be in your own "area" and don't need to worry about what everyone else is wearing. Those people who are respecting the dress code for the evening (really only one or two nights depending on the length of the cruise) will be much too well-bred to comment (within hearing distance) as to your attire.

Having said that, the alternative restaurants are usually informal and the buffet is done up nicely for dinner.

One other thought - you can RENT a tux quite reasonably and not have to carry a jacket at all (women can get away with a cocktail dress made out of slinky fabric that rolls up into a small ball - that's what I usually opt for). DH has found that he can wear black leather sneakers for dress as only the toe portion is visible - that saves packing space as well.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

We enjoy sitting with other peope -that is why it was suggested that a sitting or an area be established for those of us casual types. We don't want to be isolated from others and the fun because of dress codes, and we don't want to ruin it for others. I am sure there would be enough people that would like to get away from business clothes on vacation that could join us.

As I have little interest in wearing a tie on a cruise - I would have even less interest in renting a tux.

But if all else fails - I have a possible solution. Years ago I observed someone wearing a T-shirt that had an imprint of a full tuxedo top on it. I wonder if that would pass muster? Light - comfortable - very stylish - problem solved?
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Hi ESS, I am with you all the way. I dio believe that you can wear a sport shirt and dress slacks every night on Carnival as I did on our 14 day Freedom cruise. However, it may be quite a while till RCI and Princess change their suggested dress rules.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Starting to simmer here....

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Beginner

I just told my husband about your post and he couldn't agree more. We also like to be comfortable which isn't to say we don't look smart. He always wears a pair of nice, pressed pants and a shirt with a collar when we go out but he absolutely hates wearing a tie. I would wear a nice pair of slacks and pretty top or a dress. With many airlines charging for excess baggage (Air Canada for one), it makes sense to travel as light as possible especially if you are extending the vacation before or after the cruise.

I think people are afraid that this might be the thin edge of the wedge and before you know it there will be jeans, tee shirts and flip flops. This doesn't have to be the case. At Sandals Resorts they are very strict about attire being appropriate when dining but no ties are required.
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Passenger

what is this dinning room you are talking about. Does wveryone have to talk loadly Personally I prefer the dining room Sorry just a pet peeve of mine sort of like calling tour room attendant a STEWART.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Interesting that OP wants to allow for his own interpretation of "casual dress" while excluding others.

Pack light and rent formal wear.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Passenger

When we sailed on the Mercury, it was obvious that many people who travel on Celebrity like the pomp and circumstance of that line, my hubby and I included. On formal nights were were dressed to the nines and another couple eating with us was dressed very casually. However, they were were really interesting and nice people so they could have shown up in their swimsuits and we still would have enjoyed their company. I would have been sorry not to have met them because of their choice of clothing.