Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Beginner

Default 35th Anniversary Advise

We are having trouble deciding whether to take a cruise or AI vacation, (Sandals?) as we want to make this super special but don't have unlimited funds.

For our 25th we were on the Grand Princess Inauguaral to the Eastern Carib.
and it was perfect! Because of that we're not sure if we should stick with Princess and if so which ship - or try RCCL which also appeals to us. We are looking for elegance but not stuffy. We are torn between the Southern Carib. and Hawaii. Which brings me to another dilemma - we have heard such bad reviews of NCL and they are the only one who really offer a perfect Hawaiian cruise itinerary.

Has anyone stayed at an AI such as Sandals and what is your opinion of that as compared to a cruise? (We have stayed at many AI's in Mexico and love those as well but want to try a different place for our big anniversary.)

We will be traveling in February 2009.

Thanks in advance for any insight! We want to make our reservations ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

We just did our 35th this past February on the Diamond Princess to Hawaii roundtrip from San Pedro. It was so wonderful I wish we could do it every year. Next time I think we will wait till April or May because the crossings were a little cooler than we like but our anniversary is in Feb. and we wanted to celebrate it on the ship. We were thinking about RCI too but we like the self service laundry. I don't think we thought about that on our future cruises. We have done NCL around Hawaii and it was just okay. You don't feel like you're cruising because you are at a different island each day. It was more like a floating hotel. Enjoy and Congratulations!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Hi Amy; Congratulations on a MAJOR milestone in your marriage! Not many make it that far anymore!
Needless to say, I'd recommend cruising, as I think you'll enjoy the overall trip more than you will in an AI. Having said that, I'd also suggest that you stick with either Princess, or perhaps Celebrity! What I would NOT do, if I were you, is sail on one of the BIG RCI ships. IMO they are just too crowded, and unless you're really, really into rock walls, flow riders, and ice skating, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. They are beautiful ships, but for some reason, RCI doesn't seem to control the crowds the way Princess does. It seems to me that everyone is going the same place, at the same time. The smaller RCI ships are fine, and in fact, very very good, but I'd shun the BIG RCI ships. Celebrity ships, for the most part, are exactly what you stated you'd like,,,just a cut above the rest in food, service, and class. You already know you like Princess, so you won't go wrong with one of their cruises.
Have a GREAT cruise, and once again, congratulations!

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your replies. Wanted to let you know we booked a 10 day cruise on the Emerald Princess for Feb. 8, 2009. We'll be visiting Barbados, St. Kitts, Antigua, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Princess Cays.
We're so excited! Amy