CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   About Single supplement (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/355192-about-single-supplement.html)

cruisesnet August 23rd, 2008 04:03 AM

About Single supplement

I want to ask:

When I make a booking for the cruise for myself only,
definitely Costa will charge me the Single supplement.

If several months later (before the final payment is made),
a friend decided to go with me and will stay in the same cabin,
will Costa refund me the single supplement, or will the money
used to offset my friend's fare, or my single supplement will
become rubbish....THX

Solo1959 August 23rd, 2008 11:54 AM

I did just that on my upcoming 8 night Carnival cruise.

The 200% single supplement made the room cost about the same for just one passenger as for two passengers. When I later added my friend, he then paid for travel insurance, pre-paid for tips, daily fuel surcharge, and the cost for port fees and taxes. His total above and beyond what I had previously paid came to approx $300.

I predict your cruise line will be quite similar.

Now comes the part, do we now split the entire bill in half, or does he just pay the $300 extra................

Snoozeman August 23rd, 2008 12:58 PM

You will pay the difference between the single supplement and full fare for two. It is up to you on how you want to split it with your friend, but he owes you big time IMHO.

:wink:

jmel21 August 24th, 2008 02:23 AM

The way MOST cruise lines calculate the single fare is the following:
Double the commissionable cruise fare
one fuel surcharge
one set of taxes
one non-commissionable cruise fare ( sometimes called port charges)

The rates displayed on a cruise line's retail website usually displays the commissionable cruise fare and noncommissionable cruise fare already combined. This is how most customers get confused.

A single passenger will not pay twice the rate as a passenger in a double due to the taxes, port charges and fuel charge.
For example a 3 day cruise for two might cost $350 per person with everything included
The same cabin will cost $548 for a single passenger with a 200% supplement.
The breakdown would be as follows:

Commissionable Cruise fare 198.00
non-commissionable cruise fare 89.00
Taxes 33.00
fuel surcharge 30.00

The single pas double the cruise fare of 198.00 but only one set of the other charges.

In most cases a single can be converted into a double at any time up until about 5 to 7 days before sailing. The second cruise fare that the first passenger paid will be credited to the second passenger. This second passenger would then only have to pay the other 3 charges (in this case $152) to complete the fare.

Like I said, most cruiseline's have this pricing structure or something fairly similar. Each line may have different rules in regards to this. This is where having an experienced TA is useful. Some TAs may not be aware of these polices so make sure you have them research it prior to booking so that you know exactly where you stand.