Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Glory vs RCI Freedom of the Seas

Eastern Carribean: I need advice I just can't decide. Both these ships go to the same ports, except coco cay RCI, They both sound like great ships,
Carnival is $570 cheaper for a balcony suite, has robes, 24hr FREE room service, RCI is a newer ship. Has anyone been on both ships to compare? How are the balcony rooms on each ship line is one larger than the other.? The balconies better? RCI did not seem to have many activities on my cruise last week. But I know the Monarch can't compare to the Freedom
We have booked RCI but I am seriously considering saving the $500+. Please any comments?? Thanks
3/03 Fantasy
6/03 SOS RCCL
3/04 Fantasy
8/06 Sensation
08/07 SOS RCCL
02/09 Monarch of the Sea RCC
5/09 Carnival Glory

5/15/10 Carnival Dream
11/10 Monarch of the Seas RCC
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Admiral

The Carnival Glory will not have: a flow rider, royal promenade, Ice Rink, boxing ring, and rock climbing wall. If none if these things are important to you then save the money. If these things are important to you, then how important at they? Freedom of the seas is bigger than Carnival Glory, however, the Glory is still a big ship. I have enjoyed the Carnival cruises I have been on lots of fun activities scheduled. I have not cruised RCL since my honeymoon in 1994 so I'm not sure about the activities on RCL.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hands down, Freedom of the Seas for sure. Plus you get the private island visit, high point during a cruise. Much more activities and the after dinner shows are not to be missed, plus the ice show is another good reason. Yes, it may be more, but I think you get what you pay for. Have cruised on both and while Glory was a beautiful ship, just doesn't compare to Freedom of the Seas.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Katlady and Donna thanks so much for your insight. I think I'm gonna let my 1st instincts fly and stay with the Freedom of the Seas. This ship looks so massive I know I'd have fun on either cruise ANY CRUISE is better than being at work!!
3/03 Fantasy
6/03 SOS RCCL
3/04 Fantasy
8/06 Sensation
08/07 SOS RCCL
5/09 Carnival Glory

5/15/10 Carnival Dream
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I woud go with Freedom OTS, I sailed on her sistership Liberty OTS and all I can say is WOW what a ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Well, so much for listening. I found a website who gave me a 5 cat upgrade on a balcony room with THE Glory for a SAVINGS of $671.00
for the nearly same itinerary as Freedom of the seas and a larger room with serveral more ammentites. No ice rink or boxing ring but I won't miss that. I can nearly book another short cruise with the savings. Now its a done deal! Thanks for your input! 8)
3/03 Fantasy
6/03 SOS RCCL
3/04 Fantasy
8/06 Sensation
08/07 SOS RCCL
5/09 Carnival Glory

5/15/10 Carnival Dream
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Lisa, as we say in the South, "You Done Good". You'll love "Glory", I have no doubt, and with the extra $670 you can do a bunch of extra stuff that you will enjoy, like massage, or specialty restaurant, or extra nice tours. While I have to agree that RCI offers lots of stuff, most of it is stuff that I'll never do, so why should I pay for it? Let us know how your cruise went when you return. As I said at the top, "You Done Good".

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Or you could put the money you saved towards a long cruise on the new Oasis of the Seas. I am kinda anxious to see that one myself. In fact, I think I will check prices and itineraries right now.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't sailed the Freedom, just too big for me, so I have little interest in Oasis either. But I have sailed on many RCI ships. The do build beautiful ships! But I don't think anything else onboard is particulary special, soworth the extra $ they charge.

In fact I wrote a blog a few weeks ago called the Nation of Why Not Charge More.http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/2009...nation-charge/

If I were choosing, I would opt to save the $$$ and book the Glory.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

To each their own, but one has to admit, the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships are ideal for activities buffs. I want to try the Oasis just once since it seems like a floating Port of Call.
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
To each their own, but one has to admit, the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships are ideal for activities buffs. I want to try the Oasis just once since it seems like a floating Port of Call.
I think most large cities are ideal for activity buffs, but it doesn't mean I want to spend my vacation in them

I have no doubt people will line up to get on Oasis.... like they'll line up to do everything else on the ship With 5600 passengers onboard it will be like a small city... and I'm sure, just like in those cities, lines will be long for the most popular events.

It will fit the bill for plenty of people who want that sort of vacation. I just prefer my vacations to be a bit more relaxing.

I've cruised on ships from 10,000 tons to 150,000. I've found my limit for finding great amenities that I find useful to be at about 110,000 tons.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Well, I am always the adventurous and constantly active type. I live in a small town so to me actually having something to do is my idea of a vacation, but at the same time, when I am on board a ship, I will also be working as I can apply my experiences to my travel agency.
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it.. Been on both Freedom and Glory, hands down Freedom. Too many times I felt crowded on Glory, waiting in line to exit the ship, not a problem on Freedom. Wait in like for the buffet, again, never on Freedom with their different food stations, same for drinks. You would think it would be the opposite, but it wasn't the case.

All the extras you get on Freedom just IMHO don't compare to Glory. While Carnival Glory was a beautiful ship and I had a great cruise, just isn't in the same class as a "freedom" class ship.

I also can't wait to try Oasis.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Only issue I have is to wait a while on the Oasis because of price. A bit pricey now or I would book their inaugural cruise.
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Hi Brad,
Yea, I agree, no way I'd pay the price for the first cruises. Just wait a little while and may-be some deals will be had??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Well, I am happy to pay it when I can afford to. It is in my best interests to try out the new ships as quickly as possible, being that I will soon be opening up a travel agency in my area. I just need to get a deposit down as soon as the inaugural sailings are announced if it is within my budget next time.