Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Default Air/Sea Package versus Arranging Own Flight

Is it better to get the Air/Sea Package or to arrange your own flight? Money is tight right now and I have noticed consistent jumps in prices recently. So I am wondering if the air/sea package would be better or not. The price I was quoted was $389 plus taxes for the air/sea to Miami, with similar prices through the Delta website($365 plus taxes). Aside from the included transfers, what are the advantages of the air/sea package? My cruise is booked through Carnival.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Admiral

The advantages to us is we choose when we fly according to our schedule and plans. We also can choose non-stop where cruiselines can book you for connecting flights with long layovers and at weird times. We always book our own and it is usually less.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I'd add the best a/f you can get to the cost of ground transportation (Carnival transfers may or may not be the best for your situation) and compare it to the air/sea package. If you are trying to fly in/out at the beginning and end of the cruise you might want to book through Carnival. Many people choose to come down a day early.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Another big advantage of booking the air arrangements yourself are picking out the carrier and flights you choose. When doing it through the cruiseline, you get what you get. In a lot of cases, there is a plane change, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Admiral

i agree with the others, book your air separately. That way you can choose your carrier, route and flight times, if you book the cruise air you get what you get and are stuck with it, and like the others have said you could get weird times, and mulitiple lay-overs,and once you land if you choose the ships transfers you might end up waiting for the bus to be filled as opposed to grabbing a cab at the airport and heading out to the cruise ship terminal.
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

I don't mind a bit of waiting. I can just pack a play to read(My career is as an actor). I am mostly worried about finding the most cost effective option as a solo traveler that also wouldn't wear me out.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I don't mind a bit of waiting. I can just pack a play to read(My career is as an actor). I am mostly worried about finding the most cost effective option as a solo traveler that also wouldn't wear me out.
Brad,

If you are cruising out of, just about any, Florida port booking your own air is "usually" the best way to go. Cruise air is a hit and usually miss option. The flights usually have a connection and if you miss that connection the cruise line is not responsible. A cab will run you less than $25 dollars each way (based on Miami, FLL is less) and cruise line transfers run anywhere from $20 to $35. If you book your own you will usually find comparable air with a better schedule.

I always compare the cruise air and what the price I can get if I book it myself. Only once in 20+ cruises have I found cruise air to be less for a domestic flight. The exception is for international and open jaw (flying to and from two different ports) air fares. Often cruise air can be less expensive for these types of flights.

The the biggest misconception that people who book cruise air have is that if they don't make the ship the cruiseline "will" get them to the next port. Wrong. The cruise line is an "agent" of the airline and accepts no responsibility if you don't make the ship due to any air issues.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Well, if I fly into Miami the transfer is $16. I am traveling alone. I think most of the posters here assume I have a travel companion, and I do not.

Need some cruise help?