CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   MIAMI airport warning! Please read! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/363357-miami-airport-warning-please-read.html)

Jiminy April 10th, 2009 10:35 AM

MIAMI airport warning! Please read!

We just returned from our cruise out of Miami. We arrived and departed through MIA, and want to warn folks about something. This is probably well known for people who fly in and out of there all the time, but it shocked us. Upon our arrival home and during our unpacking, my husband noticed some of his prescription pills spilled in his toiletry bag. Yep, a baggage handler, had opened his suitcase and took 1/3 of the pills from the bottle, and didn't get the cap back on all the way. We would not have even noticed if the handler hadn't been so sloppy.

My concern is for older folks travelling who may have a lot of prescription drugs and may not notice a few missing pills. PLEASE keep all your medications in your carry-on luggage! And DON'T put anything of great value in your checked luggage.

NOW we know why they have those luggage plastic wrap vendors at MIA!

CA Cruiser April 10th, 2009 10:59 AM

We always keep all our medications and valuables with us. Did you take your own luggage off the ship or put it out the night before? How do you know it was the baggage handler at the airport? It could have been done on the ship before you arrived at the airport.

Jiminy April 10th, 2009 11:14 AM

We carried our own luggage off the ship. I suppose it could have even been TSA, who also handled our luggage. But more than likely it was someone who had access to the bags while they were sitting who knows where for the hour or so before they were loaded on the plane.

Donna April 17th, 2009 07:50 PM

I would always keep the meds with me in a purse or carry-on, never in checked luggage.

Kamloops Cruiser April 17th, 2009 08:26 PM

Re: MIAMI airport warning! Please read!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiminy
We just returned from our cruise out of Miami. We arrived and departed through MIA, and want to warn folks about something. This is probably well known for people who fly in and out of there all the time, but it shocked us. Upon our arrival home and during our unpacking, my husband noticed some of his prescription pills spilled in his toiletry bag. Yep, a baggage handler, had opened his suitcase and took 1/3 of the pills from the bottle, and didn't get the cap back on all the way. We would not have even noticed if the handler hadn't been so sloppy.

My concern is for older folks travelling who may have a lot of prescription drugs and may not notice a few missing pills. PLEASE keep all your medications in your carry-on luggage! And DON'T put anything of great value in your checked luggage.

NOW we know why they have those luggage plastic wrap vendors at MIA!

If TSA or anyone from security opens the bag they are

"SUPPOSED TO PUT A CARD IN THE BAG"

if there is no tag then someone opened the bag illegally.

If it happen lately call the cruiseline and your ta

and tell what happened . Also a letter to the Miami police

port authority and TSA would probably be a good idea.

Jiminy April 17th, 2009 09:15 PM

I agree, medications should always be kept in carry-on luggage, especially in case your checked luggage should get lost. But whoever thought someone would be stealing pills out of luggage?! Maybe I am just naive.

There was no TSA note in the bag.

My husband contacted American Airlines, our carrier. They took the report, but who knows what they do with it. My husband was not concerned about being reimbursed or anything. He just wanted to make a report so that the airline was aware of this security lapse.

Donna April 18th, 2009 09:03 AM

Just another thought, it may have been the airport that you flew into, no way of knowing exactly when someone opened your bag?? I'm sure this happens at any major airport.

colorcrazie April 18th, 2009 01:32 PM

Having worked for a major airlines, sadly I can say that this kind of thing does happen and always has. That's why med's, jewelry, anything of high value should go into your carry on....always.
Marty

faraway April 19th, 2009 12:35 AM

There isn't always a card or note placed in your bag when it's been opened by the TSA and it's not illegal. Medication and anything of value should never be placed in your checked luggage. Especially since it may be opened out of your presence.

Older Party May 11th, 2009 06:51 PM

I'm on at least one plane every month. I check my luggage because of the liquid thing and I ALWAYS have a TSA card inside when they go through my luggage. I have a thick hair product known as 'Shatter' that is always looked at for some reason.

I rarely fly into MIA ... usually MCO or FLL now ... but the last time I did? I had two very expensive brassieres stolen from one of my bags. When I checked into my hotel, the two side pockets I had them in were empty. Now I know that's a weird thing to take, but these items were very expensive so obviously, the baggage handlers knew this. They probably wound up as Christmas gifts for their wives! :wink:

Bruce Chafkin1 March 23rd, 2010 02:01 AM

I fly almost every week. My bags are often obviously opened by someone, and things inside rifled through, but I rarely have any card from TSA.
I also never have anything missing.
I would NEVER put valuables in an unlocked suitcase - anywhere.

Parrot Mom March 23rd, 2010 09:09 AM

Bags Rifled

Several times on tv I have seen secret film of baggage handlers riffeling through the luggage.. it is no secret.. What we do have are the special locks for the suitcases really, but we also have those wide ties around them.... and of course medications and jewelry are carried on our carry on.. A friends daughter had expensive sneakers stolen from her luggage.

Paul Motter March 23rd, 2010 02:17 PM

Excellent advice.

I once had a toiletries case stolen out of my suitcase, I suspect because they saw pills in it - they got a lot of aspirin and "make you go ___" pills.

Now I NEVER put anything valuable in my suitcase, especially now that you cannot lock them. I carry all meds, documents and electronics in my carry on and I never let it out of my sight.

Manuel May 7th, 2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom (Post 1281765)
.. What we do have are the special locks for the suitcases really, but we also have those wide ties around them.... .

Are those locks something that the TSA canwork with?

TM