Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Default Motorized scooters on cruisers

My husband and I are traveling with a friend who uses a motorized scooter to get around. He doens't need the scooter in his room. Our problem, he would like to have a room with a balcony however on NCL you have to step over the door step so he wouldn't be able to bring the scooter into the room. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

All the cruise lines have staterooms for people with disabilites. These rooms are wheelchair accessible. So a motorize scooter would work in these types of rooms. I would call NCL directly for the cruise you are interested in and find out of any of these rooms are available.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Default Motorized scooters on cruisers

Thank you katlady for your response. Love your babies!!!
I know they have handicap rooms where a scooter will fit, but he would like a balacony room. It's a shame the handcap rooms on NCL are inside only. It just doesn't seem fair. Even disabled people should be able to get a balcony room. Do you know of any ships that don't have the step over in the balcony rooms? I don't have to cruise NCL we just wanted the freestyle.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Admiral

We had a balcony on Carnival Glory and I don't recall any kind of a step over (but I know what is simple and forgettable to the fully mobile can be an obstacle of those who are not - I apologize if this is misleading). You say your friend doesn't need the scooter in the room so I assume bathroom facilities are not an issue? As I type that I realize there was a small step (4 to 6 inches) into the bathroom.

There might be a slight step from room to balcony - don't know if that would create an obstacle to your friend - it probably would to a fully wheel chair bound passenger.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Motorized scooters on cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlabbe8128
Thank you katlady for your response. Love your babies!!! Thanks they are pampered pets.

I know they have handicap rooms where a scooter will fit, but he would like a balacony room. It's a shame the handcap rooms on NCL are inside only. It just doesn't seem fair. Even disabled people should be able to get a balcony room. Do you know of any ships that don't have the step over in the balcony rooms? I don't have to cruise NCL we just wanted the freestyle.
Okay I just checked cause I was wondering. The Star Princess has wheelchair accessable balcony rooms on Aloha deck 12 rooms A304, A302, A301 and A303. Princess cruise lines also has personal choice dining. We cruised on this ship in 2003 with the personal choice dining and really enjoyed it. I'm guessing some of the other princess ships also have wheelchair accessable balcony rooms. I hope that helps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

I found this website it should help you determine which lines have the must wheelchair accessible cabins. Also check with the cruise line to find out of the elevators will be big enough for the scooter.
http://www.cruising.org/planyourcrui...wheelchair.cfm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Carnival has balcony rooms for the disabled. I was going to go on the Legend out of Tampa and the cabin I wanted had a balcony the length of the cabin. The cabin was situated lengthwise vs width wise. It didn't have a notation saying it was handicapped, but it was....so I choose the Freedom instead.

Even if you brought wedges to allow the scooter to go up and into the cabin, the cabin is not handicapped accessible it is unlikely that the scooter will fit through the doorway/hallway into the cabin. NCL should have balcony cabins that are scooter accessible.

I must make this note, scooter drivers on the ships are MUCH more pedestrian friendly than at home in public. I have almost been taken out by scooters several times where the drivers don't care who is in their way, it's THEIR public space and YOU should get out of their way....Some scooter drivers are maniacs, and some are considerate to those around them and don't try to take them out!!!!

Good luck on your hunt for a balcony cabin!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Motorized scooters on cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlabbe8128
Thank you katlady for your response. Love your babies!!!
NCL has numerous HC balcony cabins on their Jade, Jewel, Pearl, Star and Dawn. Check out the deck plans. Star and Dawn do not have the aft balcony, HC cabins but have four HC balcony cabins on deck 9 and 10.

On our last cruise on the Norwegian Jade we had cocktails with a couple who were in an aft AE suite that was HC accessible. I can't remember if there was a door sill or not but the bathroom was HC accessible with no step up and the bathroom was open.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If he doesn't need the scooter in the room then he should be able to get on the balcony no matter what. Some of them have smaller doors that swing out, while some have sliding glass doors. Sliding doors will probably be easier to deal with since the wind and smaller size of swing doors make them pretty hard to handle.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Captain

One issue Are the cabin doors wide enough for a scooter or will it need to be parked in the hallway?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
One issue Are the cabin doors wide enough for a scooter or will it need to be parked in the hallway?
It would have to be a handicapped cabin in order to get the scooter through the doors - you are not allowed to leave them in the hallway.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
It would have to be a handicapped cabin in order to get the scooter through the doors - you are not allowed to leave them in the hallway.
This is not true. My 89 year old mother uses a scooter when we cruise and we have to leave it in the hallway every night. We park it right up against the wall outside our door.