CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Carbonated beverages in checked airline luggage? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/364516-carbonated-beverages-checked-airline-luggage.html)

buckybruce May 16th, 2009 04:05 PM

Carbonated beverages in checked airline luggage?

Can you take aluminum type carbonated beverages like beer or coolers in your checked luggage on an airplane?

All my flying, I've never tried to before, and never knew the answer.

misguidedangel May 16th, 2009 04:16 PM

THe problem would be getting the cans of pop SAFELY to the destination. The likelihood the cans will puncture due to the careful, loving, and thoughtful handling they get from the bagge handlers is quite high.

I have yet to have 100% of my items I bought come back the same condition when I bought them. Usually one, two, or more items get broken and have to be glued even though I packed them ever so carefully.

I would suggest, if you know your brand of pop is not available, to buy it when you get to the port city and get a cab to take you to the nearest Walmart or store you can buy it a. Otherwise, just get a fountain card on the ship and be done with it.

green_rd May 16th, 2009 04:28 PM

The cargo hold of an airplane is neither heated or pressurized. I've transported wine but don't think I would try anything carbonated.

buckybruce May 16th, 2009 05:57 PM

I have a hard sided suitcase (Heys brand)...extremely light, but very strong. I've transported back bottles of Appleton rum from Jamaica...well wrapped in clothes, and in the middle of the case, and so far, no problem.

These are cans of Smirnoff Ice cooler drinks and Mott's Clamato premixed Caesars(we Canadians have to have our Caesars) LOL .....

I also went out and bought one of those soft sided Thermos lunch pails to put them inside the suitcase...they hold twelve cans quite nicely.

My main concern would if they froze, would it push the pull tabs open, or would the change in air pressure collapse the cans, and cause them to leak that way.

Second question then....are these products available in Miami?

worthew8 May 16th, 2009 07:49 PM

90 percent of the carbonated cans I checked on planes 'blew up'. Same thing happens when I leave an unopened one in my car during a New England cold spell. :cry:

Trip May 17th, 2009 09:22 PM

Don't take the chance.....please...if you are flying into Miami early to overnight, ask the desk at the hotel for the closest liquor store, and pick up what you need there...

Kamloops Cruiser May 17th, 2009 10:54 PM

Re: Carbonated beverages in checked airline luggage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckybruce
Can you take aluminum type carbonated beverages like beer or coolers in your checked luggage on an airplane?

All my flying, I've never tried to before, and never knew the answer.

I've carried carbonated beverages on a helicopter to 7000 ft.
The can was spherical and not in the shape of a cylinder.
On opening the contents of the can just exploded in a shower
of soda.
We calculated that the pressure in the can exceeded 40PSI.
Therefore it was at least 4 times sea level pressure.

:?: :?: rofl rofl

skymaster May 18th, 2009 09:44 AM

Re: Carbonated beverages in checked airline luggage?

[quote="doopydozer"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by buckybruce
C
I've carried carbonated beverages on a helicopter to 7000 ft.
The can was spherical and not in the shape of a cylinder.
On opening the contents of the can just exploded in a shower
of soda.
We calculated that the pressure in the can exceeded 40PSI.
Therefore it was at least 4 times sea level pressure.

:?: :?: rofl rofl

Then figure out the pressure present in a can when carried in the unpressurized cargo hold of a commercial aircraft at 30,000 feet, where most of those fly! I too would suggest buying the drinks at the port city where embarking. Seems much safer to me. :wink:

Ken
"SKY"

katlady May 18th, 2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthew8
90 percent of the carbonated cans I checked on planes 'blew up'. Same thing happens when I leave an unopened one in my car during a New England cold spell. :cry:

Out here we get 100 degree days. I had a root beer in my car on one of these days. I came back to my car and it was bathed in root beer. To the OP don't do it. If you are flying to Miami there are lots of liquor stores near there.

funcruiser212 May 21st, 2009 01:00 AM

don't do it - buy in port city

dina May 21st, 2009 10:02 AM

And remember the airline weight $$ Do you really want to pay extra cash $25 -$50 for a 12 pack of pop?

hannibal June 3rd, 2009 11:18 AM

I have put cans in my suitcases many times and I have never had one go bad or pop open. I also fly with the 16oz. plastic bottles of beer, light weight. They have always made it safe and sound. I normally take the cruise ships transportation to the ship, they don't stop at stores. I have also flown with wine bottles. If you are worried, put them in a sealing plastic bag.

Mike M June 3rd, 2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd
The cargo hold of an airplane is neither heated or pressurized. I've transported wine but don't think I would try anything carbonated.

The cargo hold is definitely heated and pressurized. (Unless you're flying in an old DC-3) LOL The pressure does change in the hold the same as it changes in the cabin. That's why your ears pop when the cabin is pressurized or depressurized. The main reason a carbonated beverage may explode is that it will be shaken during loading, transport and in flight. This shaking plus the lower overall pressure of the plane can cause the can to explode. I wouldn't transport any carbonated beverage unless you want cola soaked underwear and probably get some other people's suitcases covered with the stuff.

If cargo holds were not pressurized or heated everything would be frozen rock solid. It's -40F outside of a plane at 35,000 ft.

Many animals, plants and perishables are transported in the holds of commercial airplanes.

Take care,
Mike

colorcrazie June 3rd, 2009 02:18 PM

Mike,
Are you sure about the climate control? The reason I ask is the last time we moved and took our pets, the only airline that had a portion of cargo area climate controlled for animals was US Air. The others would not take pets or animals of any kind.
Marty

Mike M June 3rd, 2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Mike,
Are you sure about the climate control? The reason I ask is the last time we moved and took our pets, the only airline that had a portion of cargo area climate controlled for animals was US Air. The others would not take pets or animals of any kind.
Marty

Marty:

Absolutely: I verified it with my buddy who is an American Airlines pilot. While an airplane cargo hold may not have the same air circulation of the main cabin it is heated and pressurized. The main reason that many commercial airlines no longer accept pets is because of liability issues. If the pet becomes ill, dehydrated, injured or if the pet escapes its kennel the airline doesn't want the lawsuit. The cargo hold can become EXTREMELY hot if the plane sits on the tarmac.

All of the major airlines fly the same types of aircraft. There are no "special" requirements that USAir has in their cargo holds that any of the other airlines don't.

Take care,
Mike

colorcrazie June 4th, 2009 03:46 PM

Mike,
Okay, thanks! We were flying in the heat of late summer and all of the other carriers refused to allow pets. Guess that the heat while on the ground was more than their systems could compensate for. US Air had a special hold that had better climate control...or so they said. In any case, our "babies" came through just fine.
Marty

billbelt June 24th, 2009 01:06 PM

Taking Canned Drinks On Board In Suitcase

Not a good idea. We have a commercial pilot in the family so I ask him. Says it is a bad idea unless you don't care about the other contents of your suitcase. Just left Love Field in Dallas on last Saturday. Seems like one passenger decided to do that very thing, packing drink cans in his suitcase. He was very angry as soda dripped from the suitcase. He should not need to worry since the 100 degree tempature outside would soon turn all of it into a sweet ,sticky mess. LOL

chipmeister September 15th, 2009 10:04 PM

Just decided to browse this section and came across this post. The one thing to think about in regards to pop cans, etc. is that the cargo area is heated/pressurized the same as the cabin. So, have you had a drink on the plane? Ever seen the cans in odd shapes or exploding while the flight attendants serve them? It's the same conditions. And as for the one poster seeing one explode at 7000 ft, bear in mind that the cabin altitude (the actual pressure in the cabin) of a commercial jet at average cruise altitudes is generally between 6000-8000 ft. You may see a little more pressure when you open a can but not much, at least not enough to explode. Now, those cans are stored in the cabin pretty securely, in drawers usually. But who knows how they may be packed in someones suitcase. Maybe they bang up against each other or another, possibly pointy, obect in the bag. Then yes, you will get a shower. But that could also happen putting the bag into your trunk. And you know the baggage handlers do toss them around fairly well.

colorcrazie September 16th, 2009 03:19 PM

The way that baggage handlers throw luggage around, I swear even my sun screen ended up carbonated!
Marty

chipmeister September 18th, 2009 01:56 AM

Yeah, unfortunately that can be the case sometimes.

hannibal September 20th, 2009 11:55 AM

On 9-8 and 9-10-09 I flew to Pittsburgh and back to Chicago, I had beer in my luggage on both trips. All of the cans made the trips with no problems. I also got off a flight from Fort Lauderdale on Sat. with beer in my luggage, once again no problems. I have flown many times carrying beer or wine in the luggage and I have never had a problem.