Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Wkly Blog-Will Oasis Ruin the Cruise the Industry?

My Blog this week is Will Oasis of the Seas Ruin the Cruise Industry?

Pop on over to the blog using the link below, and share your thoughts.

http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/2009...uise-industry/
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default OASIS

Absolutely agree.. the charm of many ports will be ruined when they have to dredge harbors to accomodate larger and larger ships.. There is now a controversy about doing this in Venice...The charm of Bermuda and being docked in St. George is past...ships are too big to go through the "pass". The people w ho book these cruises want a resort, they won't care about the "cruising experience"... Personally I don't want a merry go ground, an ice skating ring or a bowling alley..Maybe I'm old fashioned.. As an active senior I maybe in the minority but you will never see me on the Epic or the Oasis. The Captain of a ship once told me that people want bigger and better... like cars...
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
First Mate

Default Large Ships

We agree----too many large ships will ruin a lot of hwat we have enjoyed in cruising. Even last year in Alaska you could not walk on the streets with all the passengers in town. At least for the time being we still have a choice between one of the really large ships and the smaller H/A ships. It's the ports and all ashore that we will eventually miss.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Admiral

I have to disagree. There will remain a cruise line and cruise ship for everybody. The cruise lines would be foolish, from a business perspective, to only cater to those that enjoy large ships. Smaller, more simplistic ships are less expensive to maintain than the largest with the newest technologies. That being said, if the mainsteam lines want to focus primarily on large ships, the best way to go about it is to splinter off companies that specialize in smaller ships for around the same costs. That is how I would do it anyway, but that is just me.