CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   "Going green" on cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/369654-going-green-cruise.html)

JGrathwol November 25th, 2009 01:00 PM

"Going green" on cruise

Hello,
What suggestions do you have for being more environmentally friendly on my cruise? I plan to reuse my water bottle, air-dry my laundry and only take what I really at the buffet. Any other tips?

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 11:18 AM

I am also not sure what I can do personally on a cruise that is any different than what i do every day. They have different recepticles onboard for paper and plastic - I always choose the right one. I don't throw my empty plastic water bottles overboard.

I really don't get the question, it kind of sounds like a plant from some environmentalist trying to prove people who cruise don't care about the environment.

Its a dumb question - the environmental practices onboard are managed by the ship's staff, not the passengers. They do reduce all waste to ash and dispose of it properly when they arrive in port. I suggest you read up on shipboard environmental practices before you post such a silly question.

JGrathwol November 27th, 2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1259952)
I am also not sure what I can do personally on a cruise that is any different than what i do every day. They have different recepticles onboard for paper and plastic - I always choose the right one. I don't throw my empty plastic water bottles overboard.

I really don't get the question, it kind of sounds like a plant from some environmentalist trying to prove people who cruise don't care about the environment.

Its a dumb question - the environmental practices onboard are managed by the ship's staff, not the passengers. They do reduce all waste to ash and dispose of it properly when they arrive in port. I suggest you read up on shipboard environmental practices before you post such a silly question.

I also plan on what I do everyday to do onboard the cruise. But there are things like buffets that I don't encounter every day.
Which question do you not get, the suggestions or the poll? You suggested recycling and not littering, thanks. I haven't been on a cruise for 9 years, so I'm glad to see the lines are being more conscientious in their practices. As for the poll, I was just interested to see if people bring their "green" practices onboard.
I don't see how it's a dumb question, there are certain things the cruise has no control over, like me throwing bottles overboard or using cold instead of hot water to do my laundry.
Thanks for such an extensive reply to my "dumb" and "silly" questions!

VegasCrossfire November 27th, 2009 07:56 PM

Well personally, I have always felt that RCCL is "missing the boat" by NOT having a place to recycle all the paper we get on board each day. Many years ago when we sailed on HAL, there was a recycle bin in our cabin - just for paper. It was great. I didn't feel I was being wasteful when I threw away "yesterday's" cruise info and sales.
On RCCL, I feel as though I have to take all my paper home and put it in my recycle bin at home.
We are careful to make sure the plastic, etc. goes in the proper bins.

lulu48 November 27th, 2009 10:01 PM

A lot of cruise line do recycle the papers but you the passenger do not have to sort it
They have crew that sort the garbage so just be careful what you are throwing out.

green_rd November 28th, 2009 02:41 PM

I'd be glad to rehang my towel if I had room to do so. Instead of the cruise line or hotel giving my a little card telling my how reusing my towel will save the earth, they could provide a place for me and my DW to hang ours up.

lulu48 November 28th, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1260213)
I'd be glad to rehang my towel if I had room to do so. Instead of the cruise line or hotel giving my a little card telling my how reusing my towel will save the earth, they could provide a place for me and my DW to hang ours up.

Don't they have a clothes line in the shower?

We hang ours but then the stewardess folds them & places them on the holders so we do not know if they are our used ones or fresh ones:???:

lulu48 November 28th, 2009 05:30 PM

Ask for proper glasses & not the plastic cups for drinks.