Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Another one...

Just because you have a balcony doesn't mean you can sit out there late into the night talking loudly and partying. The people in adjacent cabins might want to sleep and your loudness isn't helping. Apartment house rules need to be invoked.
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Admiral

To add to Dave's post, most people who come onboard to give a lecture ask that you not videotape them. Their lectures are copyrighted. I attended one once where the lecturer had to ask one person three times to stop videotaping !

When muster drill is announced, show up. On some ship's no one is able to leave until everyone's accounted for. Be there and be on time!

In tender ports, if you don't have to be off the ship for a scheduled excursion (ship's or private) wait an hour or so to try to get off. Have a leisurely breakfast and you won't be standing in the hallway or on the stairs for 30 minutes.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
Captain

it is a good idea to be up on the rules of a cruise ship before departure. An adults only area means exactly that, no children allowed. No saving chairs means exactly that.

I have seen many "Parents" bring their teenage children to the adults only comedy act. These 13, 14, 15 year olds should not be there.

Many "parents bring their small children with them to the adult only pool and let them play there all day.

One last thing. Smokers are usually restricted to one side of the ship. If you don't want to smell the smoke please don't sit at the tables on that side.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Passenger

I'm a little new here but this is a couple I can think of.
1) When in the gym do not drop the weights on the ground. There are people in the cabins underneath the gym.
2) Hold the door for those that you see coming. And may need some help

Old February 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Cabin door are heavy. If you are entering your cabin at night carefully close the door. If you let go the door will slam and could wake up people in cabins around you. I said this for the others who do sleep on cruise ships. Since I go to bed at 2 or later you aren't bothering me at all.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is a touchy one....Parents, keep your "little stinkers" in diapers, OUT of the pool and hot tub! This lack of coutesy is a fight in the making, trust me! On this topic, I think its the crew who should be on top of it immediately.... It should not be our fight.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 1st, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This is a touch y one....Parents, keep your "little stinkers" in diapers, OUT of the pool and hot tub! This lack of coutesy is a fight in the making, trust me! On this topic, I think its the crew who should be on top of it immediately. It should not be our fight.
I love Disney Cruiselines reply to this question. Here is a link to where I got the information below. Toilet Training and Pools - FAQs | Disney Cruise Line

QuestionIs it true that children must be toilet trained in order to enter the pools?AnswerYes. The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet trained be permitted to enter swimming pools and spas onboard cruise ships. Young children who are not toilet trained are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool. It's designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.

This is also a good article regarding toddlers in the swimming pools. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33332.asp

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Admiral

So I checked and yes this information is also on the CDC website. Please Please I'm begging you keep your not toilet trained children and their fecal matter out of the pool.
CDC - Vessel Sanitation Program - Frequently Asked Questions
Why are children who are not toilet trained forbidden from swimming in pools on cruise ships?

Children who wear any type of swimming diaper or who are diaper-aged are not allowed to swim because fecal matter may contaminate the water. This can expose other swimmers to fecal matter that is potentially infectious.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Good point, Dave, and there are risks even for the dancers. A friend of mine is a dancer for NCL, and the odds of getting hurt doing the moves they do on a moving ship is high enough without some idiot blinding or distracting them with a flash camera or video. Plus, believe it or not, all the shows are copyrighted, which means it is actually illegal to capture it on film.
Marty
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are unsure if you want to buy your photo from the cruise line and want to leave it out in case you want to buy it later, put it back in an empty spot on the rack. Don't put your photos in front of someone elses because those people will never be able to find theirs.
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

If you have no intention of buying a photo, then take it off the rack and hand it into the personnel so they don't have to keep putting it up.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I don't like seeing people so drunk the can't stand up. Around 1:00 p.m. I was on the
second deck above the pool area when I looked down at a waiter . He had dropped a tray of
glasses . He had glass to pick up everywhere. There was a group of college kids laughing , drunk , and shouting out all kinds of remarks. Down right mean. They never
bothered to help him out. If I had been down on that level i would of helped him out.
Poor waiter had to suck it all up and keep working.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi JerriAnn...

I believe you sent me a message saying you are looking at booking a seven day cruise. That is a good thing based on what you just said.

I just want you to know that I think everyone here agrees with you that we don't like seeing a lot of drunk kids on cruise ships.

To be honest with you, that seems like a different world to most of the posters here because that kind of behavior generally only happens on shorter cruises, like 3-day weekend cruises, which most of us rarely take.

Rarely will you see a lot of younger truly drunk people on a seven-day cruise. They attract older crowds and are much more family or couples-oriented.

Getting back to "common cruise ship courtesy" I agree with you that being polite with the crew and staff onboard is extremely important. These people sometimes have bad days, and they do work long and hard hours.
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Along the same lines as the toddlers in swimming pools suggestion, how about this one...

"Wash Your Hands!" Especially if you are about to go to the buffet. We all use the same handles, etc. It is far too easy to share germs.

If you use any restroom please wash your hands, or just make a habit of doing it before you go to the buffet. Those gel sanitizers are better than nothing but they don't really do as much as soap and water/ Why? Because whgen you wash your hands it has been shown that most of the germs are left on the towel.

Those gels may not kill ALL the germs and the ones they don't are still on your hands.

So - to avoid spreading disease always wash your hands. And if you are in line in a buffet and have to sneeze - get out of line to do it. people will let you back in.
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM
david30101

To bad all the people who do these "negitive" things we chatted about DONT read these forums anyhow...
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Not to be mean or disrespectful BUT I have to obey curtiseies everday when I am on Vacation I am a beast, all respect goes out the window. I try to be respectful but I really dont care on vacation! Hey at least I admit it.
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Admiral

respect the dress code.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm4u View Post
Not to be mean or disrespectful BUT I have to obey curtiseies everday when I am on Vacation I am a beast, all respect goes out the window. I try to be respectful but I really dont care on vacation! Hey at least I admit it.
You're kidding of course!?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Passenger

I only have one......

Treat others the way you yourself would want to be treated.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't think he was kidding
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I don't think he was kidding
Unfortunately so do I!!
Read all these & they are all just normal everyday things associated with general good manners....but that is like "common sense"...not as common as you think!!
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Two weeks ago I got off the Crown Princess from a cruise where I had Traditional Late Dining. Was assigned a table for 6 - 1st night there were 4 - 2 of whom didn't show up the next night but 2 others were assigned and came late. Next night I went to a great specialty restaurant - after having told my wait staff I wouldn't be there. Fourth night back to my original table for 6 and I was the ONLY one there - very uncomfortable - and not ONE of the people assigned had told the wait staff they wouldn't be there.

The next day ran into the assistant waiter and told him I would NOT sit there alone again - I'd go to Anytime. That night the headwaiter, waiter and assistant waiter were very helpful and moved me to another table. This one was one for ten people and only two people were there and that was the situation from the second night ... again NO ONE had told the wait staff they weren't showing. And one of the couples assigned the first night to this table for ten showed up the last night.

To me this is a VERY, VERY rude thing to do - not only to the passengers but to the wait staff.

Old May 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruznut, I agree it is rude, but unfortunately it is often hard to avoid.

Sometimes you don't decide until the last minute that you aren't going to dinner. I guess you could call, but except on a top cruise line I doubt the maitre d' would think "oh, I should check the table and make sure no one is sitting alone."

All I can say is that if you know you won't be at dinner some night you should try to tell your tablemates directly as soon as you know. If it late you could visit ther table and just say "hi, I won't be here, but usually you arent there because you dont fell like getting dressrd for dinner.

If you find yourself sitting alone, I think you could just get up and go back to the maitre d' and ask to be seated at a different table. I never thought about it before but it makes sense.

Let me ask you this - as a person who often does NOT go to dinner, do you think I should tell my tablemates that the first night?

Also - as a single I now think you do better with anytime dining. That way you can always request being seated with other people, and they will be different every night.

These days people just dont show up in the dining room as regularly as they used to.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Cruznut, I agree it is rude, but unfortunately it is often hard to avoid.

Sometimes you don't decide until the last minute that you aren't going to dinner. I guess you could call, but except on a top cruise line I doubt the maitre d' would think "oh, I should check the table and make sure no one is sitting alone."

All I can say is that if you know you won't be at dinner some night you should try to tell your tablemates directly as soon as you know. If it late you could visit ther table and just say "hi, I won't be here, but usually you arent there because you dont fell like getting dressrd for dinner.

If you find yourself sitting alone, I think you could just get up and go back to the maitre d' and ask to be seated at a different table. I never thought about it before but it makes sense.

Let me ask you this - as a person who often does NOT go to dinner, do you think I should tell my tablemates that the first night?

Also - as a single I now think you do better with anytime dining. That way you can always request being seated with other people, and they will be different every night.

These days people just dont show up in the dining room as regularly as they used to.
Paul - yes, I think you should tell your table mates that you don't always show for dinner if you know that from day one. (Had that experience on the Ruby in November when I ran into the only four at a table for ten in the afternoon who said they would try other venues - I said "you decide that at the last minute" answer, "yes". So that night I got the maitre d' to move me to another table.)

I've travelled alone for quite a while and the way I get to meet people is to take Traditional Dining (ASSIGNED) to meet people. It's one of the many reasons I take Princess to have that option. Going to Anytime Dining can be awkward feeling for a woman (at least this woman).

When you choose a Traditional table of 8 or 10 (this last trip I got 6), then it would be reasonable to expect that at least half may show. The table I joined for 10 - only had 2 who came every night after the first night. And, NONE of them let the wait staff know they weren't coming back - let alone the other guests.

I choose these larger tables to avoid this kind of situation - and yet this table for 10 had the same problem I had a table for 6.

I found myself sitting alone (but not sure of it for about 40 minutes - about 9 PM as the people who came the night before came 30 minutes late) this one night. Very much wish the headwaiter, maitre d' had moved me but they didn't realize that I didn't know any of the other people assigned to the table.

My feeling is that if you choose Traditional Dining (at least on Princess), then show - at least the first or second night. And, if you make plans for the Specialty Restaurants for another night, let your table mates know ... as I did. And, if you're going to be on again/off again, then let your table mates know that.

If you choose Traditional - then show, if you're going to be an Anytime person because you don't want to get dressed for dinner, then don't take the spot of so many people who want Traditional and can't get it because those are the spots that are signed up first and when they're filled, they assign the others to Anytime.

I think you're looking at this strictly as a couple rather than understanding it from the angle of a single traveller ... plus from the aspect of someone who travels on many different cruise lines (i.e. - NCL, etc. - no assignments).

I've travelled on many cruise lines over the years (way before Anytime Dining).

And, YES I think people are VERY RUDE who don't give their fellow guests and wait staff a clue of their plans.

Old May 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

This thread strikes me as one that belongs in the Gripes section, kinda like the threads that get moved to Jokes etc rather that the chit chat section.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Passenger

I completely agree on this one. How about those people that never think about the tours that want to set up, so they stand in line arguing about with family members for 30 minutes. So please common courtsey, family members decide together in cabin about which tours you want and then go set them up.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonja View Post
I completely agree on this one. How about those people that never think about the tours that want to set up, so they stand in line arguing about with family members for 30 minutes. So please common courtsey, family members decide together in cabin about which tours you want and then go set them up.
Or do your research before you leave home and attend the excursion talks for details before getting in line at the desk.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruznut....

I agree with everything you say about politeness for tablemates. Getting to know your tablemates is standard cruise ship protocol and is a part of traditional cruising.

Unfortunately, cruising is not nearly as traditional as it used to be and I think even the Maitre D's have decided that things have changed.

I have been in your shoes so I know exactly what you are saying, I also dislike dining alone.

Unfortunately I truly believe society has changed in the last ten years or so. I think the vast majority of people feel they are not responsible for other people - especially strangers (before the cruise) and they don't feel that just because you are tablemates it means they have any obligation to notify you of anything.

In a way, even I see the logic in that. I am not going to get dressed for dinner if I have just awakend from the kind of nap that leaves you groggy and feeling non-social. Often that is just 20 minutes before dinner.

So, unfortunately the single is more on her own now.

Honestly, I would recommend switching to line that has single cabins (Norwegian Epic) or Holland America which at least does still have a singles matching program and social hosts onboard.

Another line with single cabins is the new Voyages to Antiquity. No singles supplement.

Or, as I said, I would really think about switching to anytime dining, because that way you can walk in and ask to be seated at a table with other diners, and there is no relying on your assigned tablemates night after night.

I have been in your shoes, believe me. I was on an MSC ship where I was a solo American on a ship with only one other American (also a travel writer). He ended up being kind of a jerk, because we had agreed to meet for dinner every night until one night when I literally got stuck in Mallorca and could not make it back to the ship. I called his cabin when I got back and left a message explaining what happened and apologized, but i think he decided to ignore me for the rest of the cruise after that because he claimed he never got any of my calls asking him to meet me for sunsequent dinners - so I was alone the rest of the cruise.

Until it happens to you - you don't realize how un-fun it is. That is why I seldom recommend to singles that they cruise alone. I have personally "been there" and didn't enjoy it.

I also meet single cruisers who want to cruise so badly they will make that leap of faith every time and believe they will make friends onboard. When it happens - great. But when it doesn't either you have to get used to plenty of quiet time or else it is a bummer.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Familiar Face

I had a similar thing happen to me on a HAL cruise. I usually travel solo as I don't have any friends who like to cruise. I always request a large table. On this occasion I was seated at a table for 10 and the first night I was the only one there. Talk about feeling conspicuous. The next night two other people came and told me they would be back the next day. The third day, two different people came, the other two didn't. So I just gave up and ate in the buffet. I was still a newbie at cruising and didn't realize you could request a table change.

Paul, as far as your suggestion regarding NCL. I hope that it will be good. I'm booked on the Epic in October. However I have heard a lot of bad things about NCL and solo cruisers regarding how they are treated at dinner. Many have said they are seated at the worst tables and often forgotten.

One lady, in the review I read, mentioned she was seated in the dining room, made her selection from the menu. While she waited to place her order, she started reading the book she had with her. After a while she realized the waitress seemed to have forgotten her. So she called her over and the waitress told her she thought she had come there to read. Now who goes to a dining room just to read?

That is just one of the bad reviews I've read regarding NCL and solo diners.

I hope that with the single rooms on the Epic that their dining room staff will deal better with solo travellers or people who come to the dining venue alone because their travelling companion(s) want to eat elsewhere or at a different time.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well Wando...

I intentionally booked one of the Studio Staterooms just so I could get a feel for this.

Epic will be the first NCL ship (and practically the first mainstream ship in decades) to have specifically solo cabins.

The good thing is that you have a shared "living room" where you can order meals from room service.

I plan on just hanging around in there about dinner and just seeing if anyone wants to go dining with me.

In any case - Epic will be different from ALL previous ships for singles because it will be the first ship where you know where the singles are going to hang out and you will be able to connect with them at almost any time.