Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default In Praise of Older Ships

I am one who has had his most enjoyable cruises aboard "older' ships. I find it sad that a ten year old ship is now considered old and anything built in the 90's to be considered, by many, to be ancient.

My cruises aboard Celebrity Mercury and any of the R-Ships have been my favorites. I think the cruise lines may also have the same feeling since all eight of the R ships are now successfully sailing at capacity for other cruise lines. The size and amenities that a smaller ship can offer are just fine with me and provide me with the intimate cruise experience I want.

The Radiance class of Royal Caribbean ships are the most beautiful I've ever sailed and my cruise on the SS Norway was the only time I walked off feeling like I had truly experienced a "ship" and not something resembling a floating hotel.

Who else has a soft spot for the "Senior Citizens" of the cruise ship world?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If we aged like ships, we would all be in nursing homes! I have mixed emotions, because we had an older ship experience on the Tropicale, that was just unreal. And I said never again...and , I haven't taken a Carnival cruise, on an older ship, and I won't.

But, I have sailed both the Mercury,[loved it] and the Century[not so much] I would in a heartbeat though, sail the Radiance Class on RC, and enjoy every minute.

I remember when we picked out our 1st cruise on the Celebration, Nikki was sailing with us, and when she looked at the brochure, she nixed all the older ships at the time, Festivale, etc..the older style ships were quite different than the Celebration, which had the newer ship profile.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Admiral

my all time favorite cruise ship is the Royal Princess, she was elegant, and the staff was gracious
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Many years ago, I did the Carnivale, and it was terrible. would not consider Carnival for a long time. Love it now. But, my all time favorites were NCL's Starward, and sister ships and RCCL's Sun Viking. I miss the camaraderie of the 700-800 pax and I like the feeling of being on the open sea....even though I am prone to seasickness!
Marty
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A week from this coming Saturday I'm off to NY to sail HAL's Veendam. I last sailed her in 1996, so it's going to be VERY interesting to head back to see how she's stood the test of time .. and refurbishment.

I love the size, before everything new became massive!
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

As for me I get a real cruise feeling if the furniture is
of wood (not wood imitate!)

But I am not sure there are any ships now with some
wood. Maybe it is even verboten .

All that plastic stuff on modern ships is terrible !

marble, and wood from plastic, a big plastik elephants ....
plastic meal...
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Admiral

I tend to agree as some of our favorite cruises are aboard the "older" ships. We've done "Century" at least half a dozen times, and NEVER had a bad cruise. Some of my favorite memories are aboard NCL SkyWard, and SeaWard. We too, had a BAD cruise aboard "Carnivale", and didn't cruise Carnival for quite some time,,,,but our last 25 cruises or so have all been aboard Carnival ships with only a couple of exceptions. Love the smaller RCI ships, but absolutely dislike the BIG ones. I hope the time never comes when we can't find a cruise ship smaller than 130,000 tons. Perhaps I'll get accustomed to those mammoth ships, but I doubt it.

"SKY"
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Thought about BIG ships ...P&O's Artemis is about 30 odd years old but was very advanced in her day....the thought... she is considered a very small ship but is actually the same size as....TITANIC.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Cool Charm of older ships

Just having gotten off the Soltice i can say although the ship is beautifully decorated and filled with art.. I prefer the charm and ambience of smaller and older ships...and hope to be back on the old Connie or Century next fall.