Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Question Balcony Guarantee

I have seen several posts wherein people mention a “balcony guarantee” cabin. What exactly does this mean? I’m VERY new to the cruising world (going on my first cruise in July) and my husband and I have booked a balcony cabin (cabin # has been assigned) and the cabin number is on our tickets; however, there is no “guarantee” anywhere on our ticket. Does this mean that our balcony may be given away or that we may not get one since ours is not “guaranteed”?

Thanks for any clarification on this…
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Admiral

No, you have done what we usually do, picked a cabin when booking. A Guarantee cabin just means you will definately get a cabin of that grade but they have not told you which one yet, these cabins are usually cheaper. Any other questions just ask, it can be confusing.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

A guarantee means that you are guaranteed to bee placed in the category of cabin you booked.

In general, you pay the lowest price they offer for that category and they will upgrade IF they have a better obe available, but the rule of thumb is to never expect anything beetter than what you paid for - because most ships sell out (and we hear people saying that they were told "sorry, the ship is full" whenever they want or need to change cabins all the time).

But many people book guarantees (including me) because the difference between one balcony and the next is minimal (in my opinion).

For example - lots of ships charge more for the exact same cabin layout just because it is on a higher deck. I think this is the epitome of ridiculous - you can't tell what deck you are on when you are inside your cabin.

The difference between a balcony on deck 6 and deck 10 can be $200 per person or more, but the experience is not that different.

Old May 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Agree with some balconies, but it depends on what you want, our last three cruises with P&O have been on Arcadia where we desperately "needed" to have an aft balcony, same cabin as it turned out & we would not have moved for any upgrade...in fact we had booked a suite for one cruise but downgraded to "our" cabin....& saved £3,000 too..which was nice!!
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM
First Mate

My fear about booking a balcony guarantee is that you can end up with an obstructed view, right? One or two more flights of stairs wouldn't bother me but sitting on my balcony staring at a lifeboat would.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Admiral

On some cruise lines you can guarantee a minimum category - so on Princess you can book not just any balcony but a Cat BE (for example). That way you will not end up in a lower category and have that obstructed balcony. Certainly study your deck plan before booking a a guarantee. We did a BG guarantee on Ruby Princess because there are no obstructed balconies.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Familiar Face

I have booked many guarantee balconies over the years and you won't get an obstructed view unless you booked that in the first place.

I have had some luck in upgrades but mostly you just get a higher deck than the minimum price balcony. Having said that I have never been disappointed.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Talking Thanks

Thanks so much for all the information! Like I said in my earlier post, I'm VERY new to the whole cruising thing and it's so nice to be able to ask questions and have them answered by more experienced cruisers.

Thanks again!
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You won't see the word "guarantee" on tickets, that just means the way you booked your cabin and you said you already have a cabin #, that should be your cabin. Just look at a deck plan and see where it is, should be a balcony which is what you were guaranteed...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did this on our Hawaii cruise. We were told we would get our cabin assignment when we got our docs. When the docs arrived where the cabin # should be it just had TBA. Called our agent and she had never had this happen before. She checked less than a week before we left, and still no assigned cabin number, which made me a bit nervous. When we arrived we were thrilled to find that we had been given a fantastic extended balcony that we used quite extensively on our trip. We haven't booked a guarantee cabin since then because we have taken our kids on our cruises and needed to make sure our cabins were together. I wouldn't hesitate to in the future, though!
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Chence, having done it both ways, IMHO, you are better off having your cabin number assigned as you do now, provided that you have chosen a location that suits you. You will get that cabin so it is "guaranteed." Booking a "guarantee" is another thing, and you can be put somewhere where don't don't necessarily want to be. As others have said, you have to be careful of the category or you can wind up with an obstructed view or in some undesirable location. Since you have your cabin number, you can go to the website and check the deck plan of your ship to see exactly where you are.

Bon voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08