Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default Discounted fares from cruise lines?

A few years ago, we sailed on a Eastern Carib cruise from Miami. In talking with a lady at the dinner table, she said she cruised about every other month. Of course, we and others were interested as how she could do this.

She said she lived in Miami, and was familiar with comings and goings of the many cruise ships.

She said that she would call a cruise line local office, and ask about space on the cruise leaving in a couple of days. Usually there was unsold space available. So, she would book. On this particular cruise (NCL), her fare for the 7-day cruise was $150!

Has anyone here been able to do this?

PapaBear
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is a common "urban tale" that I suspect has some truth to it for certain people. But these days one day is not enough. I am pretty sure the lines need at least 48 hours. Plus, I doubt you can just "call the cruise line."

I suspect she knew who to call - probably a travel agent, who would access the databases of various cruise lines and look for space - then she would call them up and make an offer.
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Beginner

A few years ago, we sailed on a cruise of the Eastern Caribbean from Miami. Speaking to a lady at dinner, she said she went through about every two months. Of course, we and others on how it could.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

A number of years ago it was common to go to the pier, on the day of the cruise, and get a great deal. You can't do this anymore.

However, there are many local, last minute (actually last days) specials that the cruise lines will run for locals. You can see many of these in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa papers. Some of these are $299 deals.

If someone takes advantage of this they can easily cruise four or five times a year without blowing the retirement fund.

I do have to add that I am seeing fewer and fewer of these deals.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Apparently, it is common. The lady in my post lived in Miami, and I guess that she simply read the newspaper ads, and took up the cruise line offeres.

By the way, she commented that she couldn't eat at home more cheaply than her cruise fare. And the food was much better!

PapaBear
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Several years ago, my group of 6 girlfriends took a last minute cruise out of Miami. We booked the trip the week before (5 days) for $99/each plus fees for outside cabins. What a deal! Of course, you must be flexible and be able to jump aboard. We figured after the first day, the rest was free.