Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Familiar Face

Default Another reason for cruise insurance...

Came across this this am. It's an unfortunate case, but another reminder of how important insurance is

Methuen Grandmother Has Nightmare Trip To Bahamas CBS Boston – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and Boston's Best

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy, how sad for this family...She sounds like a trooper! NCl, is not responsible for the accident, so no refund coming from them of course...I don't see how they think they will recover their loss, unless their own insurance company has that coverage.

I wonder if they were told just how important travel insurance is, and, it can not be understated....young and old..things can happen to anyone at anytime.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

NCI has nothing to do with this terrible accident, so i don't understand why they would think they should get a cruise refund. Unfortunately this a case of they should have checked with their medical insurance carrier to see if they would be covered out of network(we always do this) and then the insurance they need is trip cancellation/interuption and Medical Evacuation coverage- we always get this when we travel. It may cost a little bit more to get the evacuation coverage but its pennies when compared to actual cost of the evacuation
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I feel sorry for all involved; it is sad to think the family my have to eat the entire cost
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Exactly why you need to purchase travel insurance...As much as you'd hate that to happen especially while on vacation, you just never know. Also another reason to travel with a passport as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Trip insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Exactly why you need to purchase travel insurance...As much as you'd hate that to happen especially while on vacation, you just never know. Also another reason to travel with a passport as well.
Very very true.

An extremely viable option is to pass on the very expensive trip cancellation coverage, if you can afford to lose the cruise fare, and only take a policy that covers medical emergencies. Much less expensive, and covers an event that can be much MORE expensive, then just losing a couple of thousand on trip cancellation.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM
Admiral

First of all, the good things;
Neither were killed -- one or both could have been killed in an accident like this. The son, although it was expensive, was knowledgeable enough to get his mom back to better care here in the U.S.
Now for the bad things: NCL isn't responsible for anything. They merely delivered her and her daughter to a port where they decided to take a private cab or van to a location and back, not having any idea with whom they were getting into a vehicle with, what condition the vehicle was in nor what condition / how good / how bad the driver of the vehicle was, etc.
The ship had no choice but to leave as scheduled within reason due to the other passengers.
The folks involved had the choice to take insurance or not take it--sometimes the choices we make or don't make can come back to haunt us and it seems that this is one of those times.
More than likely NCL hasn't heard the last of this.
I wish the lady well but people need to stop and think about a few things prior to taking off on a trip, especially out of the country.
I always take trip ins. not necessarily to protect me from losing the cost of a cruise, which would hurt but not devastate me nor most people, but for things exactly like this. If I'm somewhere and hurt / sick, I want the best care I can get and if I have to be airlifted back to the U.S., that's what would put a dent in most anyone's pocket book.
I certainly wish the lady well.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Having the good fortune to never have to use the insurance, although I know someone who did need it, in a very serious situation with his Mother, I am wondering....

So, you have taken the best insurance for your needs, you have an accident, and, need to be removed from the ship to a local hospital, have some treatment to stabalize you, and now need to get med flighted home.

Although we all know to get insurance, what happens as you go along this medical process...Are all the bills to be paid out of pocket? Would this include the incredible high cost of a med flight? Would anyone, giving aid, wait for the claim to go through to be paid? Seeing past the actual buying of the insurance,and to what might happen, it could break someone before they submitted the claim...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Having the good fortune to never have to use the insurance, although I know someone who did need it, in a very serious situation with his Mother, I am wondering....

So, you have taken the best insurance for your needs, you have an accident, and, need to be removed from the ship to a local hospital, have some treatment to stabalize you, and now need to get med flighted home.

Although we all know to get insurance, what happens as you go along this medical process...Are all the bills to be paid out of pocket? Would this include the incredible high cost of a med flight? Would anyone, giving aid, wait for the claim to go through to be paid? Seeing past the actual buying of the insurance,and to what might happen, it could break someone before they submitted the claim...
Most insurance policies for travel insurance include an 800 number to call to get immediate assistance and referrals to suppliers who accept the insurance.

HOWEVER -- another thing I never leave home without is a few hundred US$ in cash for small things, and a credit card with a nice high limit on it to take care of large expenses immediately if necessary.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html